SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-07, 11:34 AM   #1
LindaS

Default I got my new bike on Saturday and dropped it!

I picked up my new shiny black naked SV650 on Saturday. The weather was nice-ish, so my BF (on his V-Strom650) and me went for a trip around the Lake District. Everything went just perfect until I completely forgot about a hairpin curve. It is a left uphill very sharp hairpin! I saw it too late, didn't get down through the gears fast enough, was still in third in the middle of the curve, stalled, couldn't keep her upright and had to lower her down as careful as I could. When she was down, I stumbled backwards and landed on my backside. I was fine but quite angry with myself. Thank God, I had the crash bungs fitted. I was really lucky, The ony damage is some minor scratches under the left crash bung. I couldn't get it up on my own (didn't even try), so I waited for my BF to come back. Took him quite a while to notice, I wasn't behind him anymore. Some cars came by and everyone of them stopped and I was offered help. That was nice. When my BF got back, he lifted Suzi up for me and we were off again. I just hope, that doesn't happen again.
On Sunday, in really nice weather, we went to Devils Bridge. I've never seen so many bikes there. Must have been hundreds. Lots of trikes as well. We had to queue for ages for our burger and coffee. Then we went for a nice trip to Knott End.
I've done now 200 miles in two days. That might not seem a lot to you but I'm still a beginner (2nd year of riding).

The most important thing: I'm still convinced, that Suzi is the right bike for me.
Old 29-08-07, 11:38 AM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: I got my new bike on Saturday and dropped it!

Unlucky!
Great to see it hasn't put you off in the slightest
enjoy!
Old 29-08-07, 12:04 PM   #3
skint

"Took him quite a while to notice, I wasn't behind him anymore" typical Vstrom rider

Bad luck but so easily done, pleased you got back on. And because you have a better bike than your BF - get a few more miles in and you can show him how to go round corners!
Old 29-08-07, 03:29 PM   #4
Dave The Rave

Happens to the best of us too
Old 29-08-07, 05:09 PM   #5
injury_ian

Thats Karma for living in such a nice place! mountains and top riding roads on your doorstep, noo fair i tells ya
Old 29-08-07, 06:03 PM   #6
Toypop

Happened to me with just 130 miles on my 10R.

Stalled it whilst turning (coming out of a tight car park) and as you found out it is impossible to hold them up. I settled it down gently and the crash bungs saved me too. Scuffed belly pan and the hero blob snapped off and took the thread on the peg with it. With a new crash bung it came to £170 in total.

I actually think most of the scratches on the belly pan were from my failed attempts to lift it. Fortunately some guy helped me out.
Old 29-08-07, 06:07 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Look on the bright side, at least you dropped it doing something a bit more challenging than most of us I sometimes think it's almost better to get it over with, with a new bike- otherwise you can end up coddling it and being afraid to use it, the bike ends up owning you. They're tools, tools pick up marks when you use them.

Then again, there's some quite good arguments for not crashing at all, which clearly in my case I've always ignored
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-07, 06:16 PM   #8
Ratty46

main thing is you'r alright, not too much damage to your bike either.

i've done the same thing, only i manged somehow to knock it down a gear and keep it balanced, i thought i was in second...but i werent!
Old 29-08-07, 11:47 PM   #9
Stumorrison

Glad youre ok.

Best way to lift a fallen bike is grab the bar closest to the ground with both hands. back straight, knees bent and lift with your knees. was taught this on my das (not my bike) and it is actually quite easy to lift.

nice to hear so many people stopped to offer help.
Old 30-08-07, 12:27 AM   #10
on yer bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Look on the bright side, at least you dropped it doing something a bit more challenging than most of us
Don't worry, I wont mention that roundabout less than a mile from your house

Sorry to hear about your crash mate, glad you and the bike were good to go again.