SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-07, 08:18 AM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Insuring a bike twice

Is it illegal to do so?

The reason i ask, is that apprently, im not coverd to commute on Vernas bike, although she is, and the commuting part isnt covered under the 'ride other bikes' part of my insurance.

So if i add her bike to my policy as a second bike, would i be commiting a crime of any sorts?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-07, 08:42 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: Insuring a bike twice

I'm been dumb here, has she got her own insurance?

Dunno if i'm reading it right

EDIT: I think i have it, can you not make yourself a named rider on her policy if she has one?

Last edited by plowsie; 27-09-07 at 08:43 AM. Reason: cos im allowed to! ;)
Old 27-09-07, 08:45 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
So if i add her bike to my policy as a second bike, would i be commiting a crime of any sorts?
I think you have to be the registered keeper of the 2nd bike you add to your existig policy otherwise they wont cover it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-07, 08:48 AM   #4
vzzzbuxt

ebike does to a mates bikes add on but i dont think it covers theft or anything. just 3rd party.

also from a legal point you cannot insure something you dont have a vested financial interest in.
Old 27-09-07, 09:06 AM   #5
chazzyb

Quote:
Is it illegal to do so?

The reason i ask, is that apprently, im not coverd to commute on Vernas bike, although she is, and the commuting part isnt covered under the 'ride other bikes' part of my insurance.

A lot of insurance policies of many types have a clause about not paying if whatever is insured is covered by another policy. Pretty sure this is the case with motor policies. Also, I seem to recall insurance proposal forms asking for a declaration to that effect also.

So, be careful. On the other hand, what do I know?
Old 27-09-07, 10:55 AM   #6
Mogs

I don't think it is illegal as such, but the catch is likely to be in the smallprint. It would be fraud to claim twice though.
Old 27-09-07, 11:19 AM   #7
skidmarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
I don't think it is illegal as such, but the catch is likely to be in the smallprint. It would be fraud to claim twice though.
I recently came up against this. I was told by 2 insurance companies that it is illegal for one person to insure the same bike twice. Obvious fraud problems if it was allowed. This includes situations where you take out a new policy before the old one expires, even if you have no intention of claiming on the old one. 'Other rider' situations are a bit different though so I'd talk it through with a broker to clarify.
Old 27-09-07, 12:03 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
What he said.

I've often wondered about the paradox of dual insurance. Provided both insurers provide this stipulation, the statement can never be logically true. That is, if you are not insured by one (because you have the bike insured on another policy), then you are by definition insured on the other (as that is the only valid policy you hold). In short, pick one and claim on it, so long as you don't claim on both, no problem. I'd not like to try this theory out on a real life "payment dodging weasel" AKA insurance company, mind.
Old 27-09-07, 12:58 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
I'm been dumb here, has she got her own insurance?

Dunno if i'm reading it right

EDIT: I think i have it, can you not make yourself a named rider on her policy if she has one?
Ok, Verna and i both have insurce on our own bikes. I am also a named rider on vernas bike. She has it as SDP+Commuting. Apparently as im the named rider, im only covered for SDP, no commuting. So if i use the bike to come to work because Doris was ill, say, im not covered if i get knocked off, which i think is odd, but thats what motorcycle direct say.

I also checked my own policy, and under the 'ride any bikes' cover, im not covered for comuting, not even one journey.

I have argued that, its 'occasional use' and that personaly, one trip on a couple of trips no matter where, i would class as occasional use. They agreed but not commuting!

Whats so bad about comuting?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-07, 01:00 PM   #10
chazzyb

Quote:
Whats so bad about comuting?
Have you seen those lunatics on their motorcycles?