SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-04-12, 09:30 PM   #11
KMB

Default Re: Complete noob with a dead 2004 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Yes, don't do any of the above again, it pretty much guarantees plug fouling, which is the black sootiness you found on the plugs. Clearly it is sometimes unavoidable, but as a general rule do not run the engine unless it will be brought up to full temperature. Clean and gap the plugs, then check or have checked the above areas.
Yes I'm aware of that now. I'd always been told that it's a good thing to start an engine fairly frequently if it's going to be sat around for a while. I assume this is what cost me my spark plugs. It's not a mistake I'll be making again any time soon.
Old 13-04-12, 09:54 PM   #12
muzikill
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMB View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

After trying to start the bike again to no avail I took out the old sooty plugs and installed some new iridium plugs (not sure if they're any better than normal plugs but they were only about £6 for a pair.) The bike burst into life as soon as I touched the starter button and seemed to idle much better. Power delivery was smooth, the throttle felt good, and the bike seemed to operate just as I'd hoped. The only issue was that the bike stalled once again after I rode up a steep hill in first gear. I saw the revs drop below 1000rpm as I stopped and released the throttle, then the bike cut out (started fine afterwards though.)

Could this be some old fuel gumming up the system somewhere?

Or is this something throttle/TPS related?
Could simply be a dirty throttle mech. Hows the air filter?
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 13-04-12 at 10:01 PM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-12, 11:15 PM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

How would dirty throttle cause this?

I'd check the air filter as said, could make it rich. Balance the throttles and set the TPS.
Old 14-04-12, 06:23 AM   #14
muzikill
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post

I'd check the air filter as said, could make it rich. Balance the throttles and set the TPS.
May not be a dirty throttle but I thought at least checking it and cleaning it was worth doing. Especially with the age of the bike. Is there a possibility it could effect the engine control management?. I remember when I did my rebuild the bikes revs were all over the shop and it would cut out. After I cleaned out the mech that the throttle cables connect to and control the problems were gone.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-12, 11:56 PM   #15
KMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
May not be a dirty throttle but I thought at least checking it and cleaning it was worth doing. Especially with the age of the bike. Is there a possibility it could effect the engine control management?. I remember when I did my rebuild the bikes revs were all over the shop and it would cut out. After I cleaned out the mech that the throttle cables connect to and control the problems were gone.
Not sure if I've already mentioned this, but the "insides" of the bike are extremely dirty with the odd bit of moss or something growing out of gaps and crevices. The previous owner clearly left the bike outside for extended periods of time as it's looking pretty weathered. If a dirty throttle system could cause this issue on any bike, there's a strong possibility that it's causing it on my bike. I'll give it all a clean tomorrow and see if there's any improvement.

Thanks for the input too. It's invaluable to me right now.
Old 15-04-12, 12:19 AM   #16
KMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post

I'll give the throttle cables and mechanism a clean first and see if it's any better (purely because that seems to be the easiest and lowest risk potential solution right now.) After that I'll check the filter, then balance the throttles and set the TPS if no issues are found with the air filter.

I have a feeling it's something to do with the bike being restricted though. The restriction is on the throttle and the mechanic that serviced the bike and fitted the restriction overcharged me for getting the restriction fitted, claiming that "because the bike has carbs it means I need to take the whole engine apart to restrict it." I know from reading on here that a 2004 SV is fuel injected. Whether he was ripping me off or just a moron I don't know, but I doubt he knew what he was doing.
Old 15-04-12, 12:24 AM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

so you bought a bike from a dealer that doesn't run well and was covered in muck with moss growing out of it.

you said you have changed the plugs but now you say that you have cleaned them up. which is it?

good luck.......
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 12:29 AM   #18
Suchy

I really would not want that mechanic near my bike if he cannot tell the difference. Name and shame so it doesnt happen to others.

Last edited by Suchy; 15-04-12 at 01:25 AM.
Old 15-04-12, 12:38 AM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

from the pictures in the 2 threads below can you tell us what your bike looks most like

answer A
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=144676

answer B
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=144661
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote