SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-16, 07:21 AM   #1
mancboy

Default mosfet reg/rec supplier?

hi peeps

wheres best to buy a mosfet reg/rec and has anyone used one of these before: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2516789402...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

still having an electrical issue so having to go from the ground up again. lost all power yesterday so no fun waiting 90 minutes for breakdown!

breakdown guy noticed bad corrotion on one of the yellow wires on the alternator side so ive cleaned them up, im getting around 80-85 @5,000 AC volts at each one so im guessing Alternators good?

i put a cheap reg/rec and a cheap battery on it last year so maybe not a good idea as i need to work out if both of these are ok.
battery always comes up good on the optimate and has always held a charge whilst sat at home for a week or so. However after around 60 miles it dies and leaves me stranded. last time i did a reg/rec test on a fully charged battery it was hitting around 14v - 14.5 at 5,000 it dips initially as i turn the throttle but then hits the mark at 5,000 so im thinking it could well be a conection issue? im going to go over all tonight including battery terminals!
Old 18-04-16, 10:34 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: mosfet reg/rec supplier?

Electrex for a r/r for sure, best to check the right connections as the blocks differ slightly on some models, or there is a short interconnecting piece to remove, something like that. They know all about it though. Yes your alternator sounds fine, over 75V AC at 5k is what you want. When a problem develops they tend to burn out pretty quickly so there is little middle ground.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-16, 12:38 PM   #3
mancboy

thank you for the help, glad the alternators out of the way for sure. im going to test the battery for holding a charge tonight. ive been told to check the voltage (bike off) go for a spin 10 mins come back and check voltage again (bike off) shouldnt be more than .5v down?

will look for a electrex r/r as well thank you.
Old 18-04-16, 12:39 PM   #4
mancboy

sorry being a muppet the link i gave was a electrex wasnt it lol
Old 18-04-16, 01:39 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Sounds like the battery is fine. Even cheap ones aren't bad, it's hardly new technology, so I'd go with it. I'd get a new RR and go with it. Yes you could check the charging voltages before buying but I've swapped the stock RR for another once or twice, and it's not something you want to have on your mind, if you can afford it then just do it anyway. I've been using Electrex for charging bits for about 20 years now! Can you tell I've had old Suzukis?
Old 19-04-16, 08:55 AM   #6
mancboy

I think it could be the battery you know. I think it works but its not holding a charge long. Heres what i did last night.
Battery bike off was around 13.2 turned on and at 5,000 hit initially around 13.8 but after a few goes it charged up to 14v what I did notice is on full beam the voltage was going down fast and after about 30 seconds it was at around 12.5 and dropping. Soon as I turn full beam off it charges up again. I expect the battery to drain but it was quicker than I thought and after a bit of blipping it struggled to get back to 14v at 5000 revs until I let it charge at idle again with lights off. Sound like battery not holding charge?
then I had it on full beam, idle for 10 minutes as if in traffic battery went to 12.3 and @5,000 rose to 12.8
Turned lights off 5 minutes later the bike has charged the battery back up to around 14v and its hitting similar at 5,000.
Ive noticed you are supposed to have full beam on when testing it at 5,000 revs but as soon as i do that the voltage is dropping in seconds and maybe faster. so if its idle at 14v by the time ive swithched full beam and turned the throttle its more like 13.5 then rises to around 14+ at 5,000.

i hate electrics lol mad as cheese
Old 19-04-16, 01:26 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

You can't say much about the battery when the engine's running. If the voltages are low when it's running, then to my mind the charging system isn't working as it should.
Old 19-04-16, 03:12 PM   #8
SikFiddy

I'd drop by a garage with a proper battery tester and ask if they'll do a battery check, most will for free, even quik tit, nationals etc. Its common to lose capacity and yet still get the green on optimate as the volts are in range.

I had similar on an old-er Honda, changed reg rect, charge all ok, battery came up OK on optimate but still wouldn't hold output on main beam, cut out, wouldn't start etc, a new battery solved it all.
Old 19-04-16, 05:27 PM   #9
mancboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
You can't say much about the battery when the engine's running. If the voltages are low when it's running, then to my mind the charging system isn't working as it should.

the voltage goes up to 14v with no lights on and when lights are on the voltage goes up @5,000 revs but when it comes back down to idle the battery has a lower voltage until I give it a few minutes to re-charge. its like either the batterys not holding or the reg/rec is not giving it enough. batteries on its way anyhow because that's the cheaper of the two. I`ll see how it goes. I'm just going to give it another couple of tests and check some more cables lol
Old 19-04-16, 05:44 PM   #10
mancboy

well its being a **** now as ive just tired again, idle 14v as I increase throttle its falling to 13 ish suggesting reg/rec. looks like ill have to replace both I'm just not understanding it enough. I have had it in a garage and they said it was fine but after 3 stranded breakdowns it aint fine! ill get the mosfet reg/rec from electrex but that's 2 batteries and 2 reg/recs in a year just hope these are better. wiring seems good though and alternators good so bugger knows. can a reg/rec work intermittently? that would explain it sometimes working??