SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Hardware Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 07-03-12, 01:07 AM   #1
RavenWire

Default Tutoro Chain Oiler

Due to me being a stingy git, i don't want to pay £80 for a scottoiler. has anyone had a tutoro one and is it any good? £15 seems very reasonable for it
Old 07-03-12, 03:12 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tutoro Chain Oiler

I had one given to me, fitted it to the superduke; it's alright but nothing near as good as a scottoiler, in fact I don't use it as intended, I lube the chain as I would if I didn't have it fitted and used it on high flow after covering 250 or so as another lube within the journey, so it's more saving carrying a can of spray lube than a scottoiler function.

Doubt I'd pay for one though, you can pickup secondhand scottoilers for £30 if you search, and two of mine have been on over 5 bikes each, so they pay for themselves.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 09:26 PM   #3
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I have one and have been very happy with it. I also Beta tested the new Auto oiler which is about £40. In terms of fit and forget, the auto is great. In terms of cheap though, the original is great. Tutoro oil does thicken as the temp drops though, so you need to up the flow slightly if it is very cold.

With a Scott oiler you have to wire it into the bike's systems, which if you are not confident can be fiddly. With both of the Tutoros, they are simple and easy to use. A single feed nozzle is the way to go, the double feed is great, but a little more fiddly to set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 12:34 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

you don't have to 'wire' it in Jayne you have to take a feed off the vacuum.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 02:02 AM   #5
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I had one, threw it away, thought it was ****. Looked like something a kid had made with the leftovers from his old chemistry set.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 08:35 AM   #6
MJC-DEV

I've just fitted the new Automatic version for about £51. So far I'm very impressed. It fits very neatly with their Multi-bracket system behind the left pillion hanger with a short tube length to nozzle. I used my own tie raps, silicone tube and cable mounts for the tube and nozzle but I like the fact that it's not fitted over the axial nut like the Scot oilers I used in the past. BTW I have two Scotoilers unused in the spares box so I have used them lots in the past.
So 1. I prefer the 'no connection' to the bike of the TuToRo system.
2. Only done about 25 miles but gives same nicely wet look of the Scot units and I'm using up my remaining Scot oil in it. All units (this and Scot) will need flow fine tuning as I get use to it's delivery characteristics.

So far I prefer it over the Scots so I will ebay these.
Old 13-03-12, 09:18 AM   #7
manicjazz

I have had 2 of these and I may have been unlucky but both left a patch of oil under my bike several times.
After switching it off it would allow air into the tube and whatever is left in the tube would empty.
If I hadn't noticed, or cared to check, it could have been very dangerous!

It's true it is a much simpler system and only takes 20mins max to install, I love the idea it just hasn't worked for me.
Old 13-03-12, 12:10 PM   #8
MJC-DEV

Yep, I've been checking for that, so far no oil leak. It would need some grit in the auto value if that was the cause or if the pipe empties then maybe an air leak into the top of the tube as I've seen both with Scot oilers as well.
Old 13-03-12, 12:18 PM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Don't these thigs trow oil everywere?
Or is it the few i noticed are set wrong?
I mean good idear but....
Old 13-03-12, 12:40 PM   #10
MJC-DEV

There will be some fling, but similar to aerosols. Generally all continuous chain oils have to be set very low so the chain is just shiny. Very easy to set too high and it does change with temperature and oil type.