SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-06, 12:32 AM   #1
kellie000

Default Help! 2001 SV650S starting problems

I just got this bike from a friend. It's been sitting up for a while, but he drove it down to my house so I know it ran when I got it 3 weeks ago. I started it up to give it a spin, only to find a low oil light. So I push it up right to check the oil level and it dies. So I put it back down on the stand, get some oil, start it back up to warm it. Drain the oil, fill it, start it up idle it until the oil light came on, shut it down, filled the oil again. Went to start it again, and nothing. The bike turns over, once, then stops doing anything. The check oil light is still on even though it's really full. Any guesses?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-06, 06:00 AM   #2
SpankyHam

are you starting it using the choke ?

Pull the choke in, let it rev @ 2500 for about 30 seconds.

Then release it and you should be fine.
Old 03-07-06, 02:19 PM   #3
kellie000

Thank you for your reply. No, though I don't think the choke would be needed since it was just idling a second previously. After a few minutes I did try it with the choke, just to be sure, but had the same problem. Now, the only thing I thought of since then, is that I filled it with regular oil, and not motorcycle oil (because I didn't know the difference, I'm an idiot). Would that cause starting problems?
Old 03-07-06, 03:30 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Your bike does not have a "check oil" light,it has a low oil pressure warning light.To check the oil you need to look in the sight glass on the right side of the engine on level ground with bike upright.
I doubt your idling problem has anything to do with oil unless you have seriously overfilled it.What year bike is it,and how long has it sat unused?You could have stale fuel or water contamination,or if it is a pointy model, a fuel injection fault.
Old 03-07-06, 08:56 PM   #5
kellie000

It's a 2001. It's not really an idle problem, since it won't start. I just find it odd that the oil pressure light never goes off. Thanks.
Old 03-07-06, 09:03 PM   #6
SpankyHam

The light will only go off once the bike is started!

Have you tried doing a "pushing start" ?

Get a mate to push you whilst you're on the bike, then put it in 1st gear & press the starter. Make sure to give it some revs.
Old 03-07-06, 10:05 PM   #7
kellie000

hmm. Well, that's troubling. I have tried push starting it, but to no avail. I guess it's off to the bike shop. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 04-07-06, 03:13 PM   #8
Fuzz

I have had the oil light come on while riding. It stopped the engine dead. I turned off the ignition and started it up again and have had no problem since. I'm just guessing here, but could it be an electrical fault? If the engine thinks there is low oil pressure, I believe it stops the engine. Maybe you can't start the bike because the oil pressure switch(?) is faulty?
Old 04-07-06, 03:17 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz
I have had the oil light come on while riding. It stopped the engine dead. I turned off the ignition and started it up again and have had no problem since. I'm just guessing here, but could it be an electrical fault? If the engine thinks there is low oil pressure, I believe it stops the engine. Maybe you can't start the bike because the oil pressure switch(?) is faulty?
Not always...there are a few that can confirm that...the engine does stop, but not through any safety mechanism
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote