SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-09-07, 08:49 AM   #31
-Ralph-

Default Re: Sights that scare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
That's the whole point, being responsible is all about making responsible decisions. If you force people to do things they're no longer being responsible, because without choice responsibility has no meaning.

It's no coincidence that a large increase in social irresponsibility are occuring when we're being swamped by massive increases in state power.
So in countries where such laws don't exist or are not enforced, do we suddenly find people being all responsible? NO! We find chaos. Ever driven on holiday in the Dominican Republic or similar? Given completely free choice the majority choose irresponsibility. Having SOME control and regulation (i'm not suggesting Nazi'ism here) creates a culture in which people choose to be responsible. How many people put a seatbelt on as a matter of habit and would now feel insecure without it? Not so long ago nobody wore seatbelts. The law created the attitude. Same story with car seats for babies, how many parents would now even consider driving without one?

Last edited by -Ralph-; 05-09-07 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-09-07, 09:15 AM   #32
Jester666

The guy is a nob! Yes it is our choice what we wear, I often ride to work in jeans and trainers plus a full knox armour top and gloves.

However, his daughter should be wearing the right gear. If they come off he will have to live with the guilt of having a child, at the least, covered in gravel rash or worse.

She's not old enough to say no or possibly know any better unlike him.

Having given Coolgirls young lad a pillion ride, there is no way either me or CG would allow him on a bike without the right gear.

Tw*t!!

Something else I don't like seeing is brake lights coming towards me at a rapid pace!

*Note to self, Slow down in traffic!!*
Old 05-09-07, 09:35 AM   #33
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
So in countries where such laws don't exist or are not enforced, do we suddenly find people being all responsible? NO! We find chaos. Ever driven on holiday in the Dominican Republic or similar? Given completely free choice the majority choose irresponsibility. Having SOME control and regulation (i'm not suggesting Nazi'ism here) creates a culture in which people choose to be responsible. How many people put a seatbelt on as a matter of habit and would now feel insecure without it? Not so long ago nobody wore seatbelts. The law created the attitude. Same story with car seats for babies, how many parents would now even consider driving without one?
There is of course, a balance to be struck. I'd certainly not advocate the complete removal of all traffic law - I'm quite keen on drink driving being illegal for instance.

However, I'd argue that society influences the law not the otherway round. For example, if we suddenly had traffic law removed, we wouldn't all (although of course, some would) immediately start driving like the lunatics in the Dominican Republic. Nor if our traffic law was suddenly imposed on drivers in the Dominican Republic would I expect their road safety to improve very much.

A certain amount of regulation is necessary. The right amount will allow the responsible to excerise choice, while preventing the most irresponsible from (in some cases quite litterally) getting away with murder. But now we're entering into a regressive stage. No-one wants choice or responsibility anymore, they want the government to make decisions for them and of course, the government is obliging.