SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-19, 08:02 PM   #41
mikerj

Default Re: 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Great thread! Not been on the org in quite a while so missed this.

I bought an X5 for 30 a bike breakers whilst I was doing my A levels about 30 years ago (bloody hell, really that long? ) with loads of bits missing and a dead ignition. I rewound the ignition stator and eventually scraped together enough s/h bits to get it back on the road and used it for several years, regularly racing around Dartmoor with my mate who had a GT185. I still have that bike, though it is literally buried in the back of my dads garage to the extent that I haven't seen it for about 20 years.

I also have a B120 which is ready to be reassembled after spending a long time sourcing various new old stock parts. Not a bike I particularly wanted, but my dad randomly bought it for me a couple of years back as I used to have a B100P I rode around my gradparents farm when I was 11-12 years old, and thought I'd like the nostalgia. Unfortunately it was the most rotten, nastiest example I've ever seen; even the swing arm was rotted out. Spent way more than it's worth on it because I'm daft.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote