SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-11-12, 12:35 PM   #1
joker650

Default pointy stator on a curvy?

ok this might sound silly to most of you but does the stator off a pointy fit a curvy?
been having problems with the bike not holding a charge and dying on me a couple of times after a few minutes i needed to use the high beams
battery is in good condition, newish..
voltage is at about 12.4V with the bike both off and running, also theres a sharp drop when i revved it quickly (down to 3V)..
mechanic friend said its probably the generator, over the phone tho, never actually saw the bike..
aaaand curvy generators are pretty rare apparently, so wondering if the pointy one would fit..
any ideas?
or anyone selling a stator?:P
Old 18-11-12, 01:13 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: pointy stator on a curvy?

I don't think they are interchangeable as they have different part numbers, but I don't know for sure. However I didn't think they were particularly rare, though I don't have a spare at the moment.

But why the stator? Traditionally the reg/ rec fails before a stator (I've had more than 1 fail over the years), have you tested this and the charging system fully? For example this thread could be a great help in tracking down and solving your problem.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-12, 09:04 AM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

No pickup is different.

I have seen stators fail but yes reg rec is far more common.
Old 02-12-12, 02:40 PM   #4
joker650

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I don't think they are interchangeable as they have different part numbers, but I don't know for sure. However I didn't think they were particularly rare, though I don't have a spare at the moment.

But why the stator? Traditionally the reg/ rec fails before a stator (I've had more than 1 fail over the years), have you tested this and the charging system fully? For example this thread could be a great help in tracking down and solving your problem.
you're right, is seems to be the rectifier,input is around 60-70 V AC as it should according to loads of information i found online, and output DC voltage is around 4-5 V with the engine at any sort or revs..
definitely need it replaced right?
Old 03-12-12, 12:08 AM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Yep the reg rec is a replace only job, no serviceable parts. Hopefully just that which needs replacing and its not taken the battery out with it. Suzuki will charge you a lot for a new one, a pattern one is around £80 and secondhand around £30 I think. But on the plus side its an easy job to swap it over.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote