SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-04-08, 09:47 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Cheap but good ISP

Well it looks like I'm moving house quite soon, found somewhere a bit a cheaper, quite and a good area, finally Oh I get a garage and backyard as well! The house is lets say rustic, but it will do......

Oh to the point, I need the cheapest possibable but good broadband, as it looks like I'm paying for it all myself. So any ideas? Or how does the sky package with broadband work, of the vigin stuff any these any good with the broadband? I'm not too bothered about TV, however if I get bike racing and other good stuff then ace!
Old 10-04-08, 10:46 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Cheap but good ISP

i got tiscali max 8meg £20pm free phone calls to land lines anytime of day and free line rental that saves £150 per year, ive never had any real problems with tiscali but ive herd ppl that have, personaly i rate them.
Old 10-04-08, 10:50 PM   #3
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
i got tiscali max 8meg £20pm free phone calls to land lines anytime of day and free line rental that saves £150 per year, ive never had any real problems with tiscali but ive herd ppl that have, personaly i rate them.
Okay kool, I take it you don't have to pay a BT line rental with that then? I'm not bothered about free calls ect, as mobile is cheap and I get over 1000 minutes/month. Is that a wireless router include, or just plug vai usb into the comp? Is that a 12 month contract?
Old 10-04-08, 10:54 PM   #4
kwak zzr

12 months contract yes, comes with a usb modem but i using a netgear router of my own, no BT line rental ) tiscali took over my line, now i'm happy because my missus can live on the bl@@dy fone lol.
Old 10-04-08, 10:56 PM   #5
kwak zzr

the no line rental is a BIG saving, i'm glad i did it.
Old 10-04-08, 10:59 PM   #6
metalmonkey

Ace sounds good, I think I'll look into that then. I think have made my mind up to move....not to have the house shake when a truck goes by, or emergency vehicles on blues going up and down ect....will be nice. ^ lanes of road on the front door is nighmare sometimes!
Old 10-04-08, 11:04 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Can I add a twist to this thread. I assume that one has to have a telephone line in order to get an ADSL service. However, do any providers allow you to purchase both a line and service.

In other words if I cannot get ADSL at x meg I don't have to pay line rental for a telephone line I dont use.
Old 10-04-08, 11:49 PM   #8
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Orange seem to do a package with line rental included too - now personally I think BT take the pi$$, I rent a line solely for the interweb, use the mobile for making calls anyway. However, my line has been ropey, I've had new cable fitted from the DP right into the house, and a new pair from the DP to the exchange, and currently its ok. However, it I moved from BT, who would fix the line next time it packs up?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 06:13 AM   #9
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

We're just about to switch to 02 broadband. Because I'm already with 02 for my mobile, I'll get 16 meg broadband for 9.99 a month with a wireless router. That's double the meg that I'm currently getting from AOL for the same price.

The switch over is a week today.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 06:32 AM   #10
blueto

i have virgin broadband and large tv package. Its a deal they do 2 for 25 quidlys. BUt u could have the phone if you odnt want the tv.

check out VIRGINS site