SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-17, 01:51 PM   #41
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Slipping Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Agree, looked it up and both liqui-moly and Molyslip makers say as long as moly not more than 2% of oil then OK - this equates to about about 60ml in an SV
I've put two 30ml shots of my own moly/oil mix in my SV650 but when taken into the overall amount of oil I reckon it's within what you have posted.You don't need a lot and me engine is as smooth as silk and no slippage even under very heavy incline loads.

I've twice been over the North Yorkshire Moors on a couple of different routes and they put the bike well under heavy load test with some very steep inclines in the places I go and the engine power and torque have been faultless.
Also went up to,"Lord Stones" cafe last week and again some of the roads will test any Motorcycle

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...2!4d-1.1933174

In fact this SV is just a great big EFFing Joy to ride

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-06-17 at 01:55 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-17, 02:31 PM   #42
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I've been running a bit of moly added to my oil in my SV650 for over a thousand miles.No clutch slip.Molybdenum Disulphide does not adhere to the none metallic friction plates in a ,"Wet-Clutch".

I ran both my Honda CX500s on Molyslip for years and still no Wet-Clutch slip.

There are oil additives that can cause Wet-Clutch slip but Molybdenum Disulphide is not one of them.

Even top engine oil makers add a small amount to their oils now.

HTH
might not adhere to the friction plates but it will to the disc plates.

i very much doubt that motorcycle oil makers add moly to their oil. zddp yes but not molly. with all motorcycles now having a catalytic converter the motorcycle oil makers are being forced to reduce and eventually remove the zddp from their oils and are using nano technology instead. its not a good time to go buying new formula oils for motorcycles till they have been fully tested, guess who the testers are.. its the punter e.g. us.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-17, 02:34 PM   #43
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
might not adhere to the friction plates but it will to the disc plates.
Years of use and no clutch slip with Moly.
Old 23-06-17, 02:54 PM   #44
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes but you more than likely understand its uses and dont use too much. other readers might see this and think hey that sounds good, nip down to their local halfords and buy a can of molyslip and dump it in the engine then wonder why their clutch slips like a hot knife through butter.

to be safe and sure dont use additives in your oil unless you know exactly how they work and how much to use. motorcycle engine oils contain all the additive packages you could want for use in a wet clutch, gearbox combined engine. the secret is changing the oil at the recommended intervals and keeping it topped up between them. only oil additive i would recommend that people use is a flush every 3rd-4th oil change just to stop the gumming in the piston rings which is the major cause of cylinder wear.
Old 23-06-17, 02:58 PM   #45
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I have ruined an engine using an engine,"Oil Flush".I will NEVER use or recommend one again.RedX is an UCL(Upper Cylinder Lubricant) and keeps the rings from,"Gumming up" and carbon build up down so defeats the need for any oil-flushing in my experience and if an engine is in that bad a state it needs stripping and correctly servicing.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 23-06-17 at 02:59 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-17, 03:20 PM   #46
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
I have ruined an engine using an engine,"Oil Flush".I will NEVER use or recommend one again.RedX is an UCL(Upper Cylinder Lubricant) and keeps the rings from,"Gumming up" and carbon build up down so defeats the need for any oil-flushing in my experience and if an engine is in that bad a state it needs stripping and correctly servicing.

My 2 cents.
you never ruined it it was probably gummed up to the point that the rings were seized and the bore was feked due to not having the proper engine oil changes, not to mention the gumming in the big ends etc.etc. this happens a lot and the result is usually an engine that starts to spew black smoke out the exhaust and knock like a police man at the door as the gumming was the only thing keeping it oil tight so the end user blames the flush. so yes a warning is in order.. dont flush old uncared for engines.

but as you say prevention is better than cure.
Old 23-06-17, 03:23 PM   #47
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
you never ruined it it was probably gummed up to the point that the rings were seized and the bore was feked due to not having the proper engine oil changes, not to mention the gumming in the big ends etc.etc. this happens a lot and the result is usually an engine that starts to spew black smoke out the exhaust and knock like a police man at the door as the gumming was the only thing keeping it oil tight so the end user blames the flush. so yes a warning is in order.. dont flush old uncared for engines.

but as you say prevention is better than cure.
The engines was ruined by the flush.It removed needed built up sludge around the big-end shells.This can happen with very high mileage motorcycles.

I will never use an,"Oil Flushing" agent again in any motor.I will and have however used cheap engine oil and quick repeat changes to clean out engines.This was much safer and worked.

YMMV
Old 24-06-17, 07:52 AM   #48
Blapper

You can't beat frequent - even early - oil change (period). I'll never use any friction modifier in a wet clutch motor. My '78 Bonnie with a MAP Cycle dry clutch? Yep, it's in there.

That video was only about 50% accurate IMHO. 10K? Grabby? Noise regs? Yeah, right. I call B.S.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 02:38 PM   #49
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
I've put two 30ml shots of my own moly/oil mix in my SV650 but when taken into the overall amount of oil I reckon it's within what you have posted.You don't need a lot and me engine is as smooth as silk and no slippage even under very heavy incline loads.

I've twice been over the North Yorkshire Moors on a couple of different routes and they put the bike well under heavy load test with some very steep inclines in the places I go and the engine power and torque have been faultless.
Also went up to,"Lord Stones" cafe last week and again some of the roads will test any Motorcycle

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...2!4d-1.1933174

In fact this SV is just a great big EFFing Joy to ride
I added 50ml of Molyslip to my AL7 over a week ago and it has since been tested on some of Shropshires finest hills - no problem.

Many thanks @ R1ffR4ff, I would never have risked putting it in if not for your input.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-07-17 at 02:56 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 05:54 PM   #50
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

QUOTE=SV650rules;3072484]I added 50ml of Molyslip to my AL7 over a week ago and it has since been tested on some of Shropshires finest hills - no problem.

Many thanks @ R1ffR4ff, I would never have risked putting it in if not for your input.[/QUOTE]

I've now done over 1500 miles on my SV over a 1,000 of them with some moly on the engine.Molybdenum disulphide is not a friction modifier.It just uses the oil as a transport mechanism without affecting the oil.

There's some very heavy industry that uses it in conditions that far exceed those in our engines

This is just one example of info on it,

https://vacaero.com/information-reso...m-service.html

I'm going to buy some of that dry spray version you have mentioned and try it on my chain instead of the Moly/Oil mix I'm using