SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 04-07-15, 01:17 PM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Pilot Power 3

Just got these on and scrubbed in today as a replacement for my Pilot Power 2CT.
Initial feedback is the tyre has a stronger carcass and is stiffer than the 2CT, grip levels are as good as the 2CT (not really pushed it, yet) and feedback is also very good as before.
Will update how these wear over time and progress. The grip level of the 2CT never really changed from new to worn out-grip level was always outstanding wet or dry (bar towards lower tread levels). So i am hoping these are the same, if not better with the newer compounds.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 02:41 PM   #2
ZER0

Default Re: Pilot Power 3

Just ordered a set of these myself. Getting them fitted tomorrow.

I'm upgrading from pilot road 2s, so I'm guessing I'll notice a difference in grip and confidence. I'm looking forward to it, I've never had new tyres before! I've been told to take it easy for the 1st 100 miles
Old 09-07-15, 02:46 PM   #3
dkid

Default Pilot Power 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER0 View Post
Just ordered a set of these myself. Getting them fitted tomorrow.

I'm upgrading from pilot road 2s, so I'm guessing I'll notice a difference in grip and confidence. I'm looking forward to it, I've never had new tyres before! I've been told to take it easy for the 1st 100 miles

I made the exact same switch. Difference was night and day (the road 2's weren't even that knackered). I've put around 3000 miles on them on my CBR and can't fault them.
Old 09-07-15, 09:55 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Done a couple hundred miles on these now. Have softened the rear suspension a bit to see if this helps with the feeling of the stiffer tyre.
They generate a good amount of heat after a good ride and they still feel sturdy and confidence inspiring. To some extent i'm hoping to test them in the rain and see how they compare!

BMW F800ST
Old 11-07-15, 06:31 AM   #5
ZER0

Had them fitted yesterday ��

I was really nervous leaving the garage; had been told by loads that they'll feel really slippy due to the releasing agent. I think I made it worse in my head, never had new tyres before and didn't know what to expect!

But it was fine, I am taking it easy on the corners. But I've already done 60 miles, and leaning over a bit more on each corner and was doing lots of swerving/carving down the straights to get a feel for them.

They already feel much nicer than the PR2s, and keep a lot of heat in them too. I'm looking forward to scrubbing them in a bit more, then having some fun
Old 11-07-15, 07:47 AM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

Best thing to do is not even think about it. Take it smooth and steady and enjoy riding, the tyres are soon scrubbed in and the chicken strips are gone

BMW F800ST
Old 11-07-15, 08:45 PM   #7
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Pilot Power 3

I absolutely love them. Got given a pair from a Michelin rep. They had done 10 laps of a circuit on a dealer trackday. Put them on last year for a trackday at Croft, then did 1000 miles on them. Loved them so much, I took them off before a long trip up north and put them away for this summer and another trackday (This Thursday at Croft again, Yeah).

Normally run Pirelli ANgel GT's (dislike Michelin PR's) and the difference between a good sports / touring tyre and these is unbelieveable. The gixxer just feels so much more planted and confidence inspiringy.

Just incase you are in any doubt _ I think these are ace tyres and once worn, will look seriously at actually buying a pair, once I see what mileage I get from them.

Picture is how they look now, after 200'ish miles track and 1000 miles road.

Old 12-07-15, 06:12 AM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

What did you not like about the Michelin PR's.
Was it the "squermy" felling you get when cranked over?
Old 12-07-15, 09:20 AM   #9
SIII
Mega Poster

That and also the very poor mileage. 2500 and totally fecked. Always felt the back end was moving about.

Although I have never seen or heard of this term "squermy" it should enter the dictionary - 'the feeling felt whilst riding with a Michelin PR3 tyre'

Last edited by SIII; 12-07-15 at 10:07 AM. Reason: quick answer on phone - then extended on laptop ;-)
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-15, 06:46 PM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Oxford English Dictionary

squirmy squirmy, a.
(ˈskwɜːmɪ)
[f. squirm v.]
1. Given to squirming or writhing; wriggly.
1836 Haliburton Clockm. Ser. i. xv, It makes them as squirmy as an eel.
It's the best analogy I could think of.