SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-17, 06:59 PM   #21
volvoboy73

Default Re: Very poor running, help!

Hi all, I've been away this week but hopefully when I get home there will be a bottle of RedEx waiting for me and I'll also try the trick of the spray on the carb inlet rubbers. Fingers crossed as I'm really missing my bike!
Old 27-05-17, 10:23 AM   #22
Blapper

Don't forget to let us know what you found when you fix it volvoboy73.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-17, 11:33 PM   #23
shaktiglo

New here.... reading posts and came across this one. I have SV650 that was running rough. I put some Seafoam through which helped, however was still rough so I serviced her with some help. A plugged carb injector was an issue. FYI an acupuncture needle works great for a plugged injector. May your girl run smoothly soon!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 29-05-17, 09:34 AM   #24
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

That's great news.I did around 240 miles on my SV yesterday Up-T-North and over the Moors.Not a blip or miss.Smooth as silk
Old 29-05-17, 01:30 PM   #25
volvoboy73

I had her running with the tank up this morning and could hear air getting sucked in somewhere, I tracked it down to this:

Is it something to do with the vacuum fuel tap? It had a piece of rubber tube on it with an old bolt stuck in the end to try and seal it but the rubber pipe was all split and perished. I've replaced the split tube with a piece of adhesive lined heatshrink pinched to seal it. I haven't had time to go for a test ride today or add the Redex as had some family stuff to do.
Old 29-05-17, 01:41 PM   #26
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I recently balanced my Carbs and had to take off the Vacuum petcock tube at the rear carb,suck a little vacuum into it and then bend and nip it so the vacuum stayed.If I didn't do this the fuel will not flow.

However I'm sure mine doesn't have the T-junction in it and it may have been used when someone balanced their carbs.It's part of another way of doing it.

I'll stand corrected but I'm sure you should normally just have a single straight piece of pipe from the Fuel tap to the rear carb vacuum spigot/port.

When the engine is cranked this little spigot sucks air and opens the Fuel-tap through this pipe.If there is air getting in via any part of this pipe it will cause bad running.I've accidentally left the spigot open on other motorcycles after balancing and know the symptoms straight away.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 29-05-17 at 01:43 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-17, 09:59 PM   #27
garynortheast
Mega Poster

New piece of pipe on that spigot and a plug in the end should sort your problem I think!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-17, 10:31 PM   #28
Bibio
Mega Poster

bike might have previously had a scottloiler installed, the white T is the vacuum feed. just blank it off. it could also be the vacuum feed for the petcock so dig around and see if there is an open hose end.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-17, 03:48 PM   #29
embee
Mega Poster

Yes, a Scottoiler is usually connected to the vac pipe for the fuel tap with a white T-piece. A leak on that line will screw up the low load fuelling of the rear carb.
Old 04-06-17, 08:44 PM   #30
volvoboy73

Well, I found an hour to play with the bike yesterday. I sealed the open t piece on the vacuum pipe, added fresh fuel and a good slug of Redex and then took it for a 40 min ride on a mix of roads. To start with there was the odd misfire but on the way home I didn't feel any more, it might be coincidence but maybe the Redex was working its magic? I will try to use it for work one day this week, fingers crossed as it's a 100 mile round trip!