SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-17, 06:23 AM   #31
Blapper

Default Re: Very poor running, help!

Fingers crossed!
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:45 AM   #32
Viney
Mega Poster

I cant see the pictures, but it sounds like its a piece of tubing from the front carb to allow easy access for carb balancing. This can be an issue as you have found.

Its also been known for the wiring loom to rub on the rear subframe and this can cause similar issues. This is a right PITA to find. Easiset way is to Insulate tape the loom from by the seat to the back of the bike. This happened to mine many years ago and once resolved, never happened again.

As for the SV being unreliable...nah. 82K in, 17 years old used solidly for the first 12 years of its life rain, snow and shine, and its been perfect (Other than a couple of niggles that have all been said above)
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 05:33 AM   #33
volvoboy73

Well, I just rode to work (50 miles) and the bike didn't miss a beat, in fact she she was running beautifully, can it really be fixed?!! I'll try to use her tomorrow as well to make sure it isn't a fluke! It's good to hear that I seem to have a bad one and in general the reliability is good as when I need to buy another bike it will most likely be another SV, I just love the engine.
Old 08-06-17, 08:06 AM   #34
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Thanks for reporting back.If all is well just keep on top of constant(But not excessive)cleaning and pre-emptive servicing.To me it's not a chore,it's a pleasure.
Motorcycles,unlike cars,are much more prone to attack from the elements so a little more care has to be taken with them but the benefits speak for themselves.The engines are superb.Properly running they are very smooth especially for a V-Twin and the power delivery is fantastically predictable IMHO.
Old 08-06-17, 08:20 AM   #35
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Properly running they are very smooth especially for a V-Twin and the power delivery is fantastically predictable IMHO.
A 90deg V twin (or 'L' twin as some like to call it) is naturally well balanced, in fact it is the best balance of any configuration. What got V twins a bad name was Harleys with their 45deg V which is horrible and lumpy and makes the whole bike jump around.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2016/02/01...nsights#page-2

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-06-17 at 08:23 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-17, 08:25 AM   #36
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
A 90deg V twin (or 'L' twin as some like to call it) is naturally well balanced, in fact it is the best balance of any configuration. What got V twins a bad name was Harleys with their 45deg V which is horrible and lumpy and makes the whole bike jump around.
Yes.I totally agree especially when you see some of the older Harelys shaking to bits when they idle
Old 08-06-17, 11:10 AM   #37
Blapper

...And yet when Alan Dudley-Ward built my Triumph engine, it was the smoothest engine I've had and that blighter was a 360 degree twin. Just goes to show what someone who knows what they are doing can do when they hand build an engine.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 04:00 PM   #38
volvoboy73

Well, the bike completed the commute without any problems which included riding down the M3 and along the M27 in torrential rain, loving my SV again!
Old 10-06-17, 04:12 PM   #39
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoboy73 View Post
Well, the bike completed the commute without any problems which included riding down the M3 and along the M27 in torrential rain, loving my SV again!
Glad its running well now, what do you reckon had the most effect on the problem.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote