SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-17, 10:26 AM   #1
SV650Stu

Default 3D Printed battery box design for pointy GSXR shock swap

Hello folks,

A while back i designed a raised battery box to accommodate the reservoir on a GSXR 600 K4/K5 shock swap for my K6 650s. I designed 3 of them in the end, all the same external distentions just a slightly different wall thickness and base structure. You can still have the tool kit.

If anybody's interested here is the link so you can download the files -
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2360389

As far as i am aware this should fit similar GSXR shocks for the pointy. But chime in if you know better.

There's plenty of room for the reservoir there but fitment will depend on how much you cut the battery box of course. if in doubt take mesurements from the design and cut accordingly. I "sealed" the edges with some foam tape which stopped the majority of water getting in.

Unfortunately i have no pictures of the fitted item (poor show, im sorry). I have since traded her of an SV1000 and subsequently regret doing so.

Files are in .STL format so can be printed on any FDM based 3D printing system. I printed mine in PLA, .2 layer thickness with 25% infill with an Ultimaker 2, it was plenty strong enough.

Print and fit at your own risk!
Old 05-06-17, 02:35 PM   #2
DuncanC

Default Re: 3D Printed battery box design for pointy GSXR shock swap

What filament are you using?
I have a 3D printer I am just getting sorted out building an enclosure so I can print ABS/ASA without gassing the kids.
I have several ideas I want to try but other than PLA everything I try to print is a complete mare.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 03:17 PM   #3
SV650Stu

I used Rigid Ink PLA on an Ultimaker 2. I even used the thinner Battery box_3 with 25% infill and 0.8mm wall thickness. I had no issues with strength.

If in doubt however just use 100% infill and make is solid.
Old 11-06-17, 12:07 PM   #4
Hapo

...what was it aboot the SV 1000 that made you think of it as a .mistake...???...
Old 12-06-17, 09:11 AM   #5
SV650Stu

Ive had a few issues, probably caused by poor maintenance by the previous owner. Oil leaks from the clutch push rod and sprocket shaft seal and worn valve guide seals contributing to her loosing around 120ml every 100miles atm but im doing the valve clearances anyway so the valve guide seals are not too much more work. Been a few niggley things like the power commander not being plugged in and a coolant leak caused by a clamp being left loose.

My 650 was well sorted in the suspension department, the 1000 is a a bit sluggish in comparison, changed fork fluid and set sag has sorted most of it but a think a new shock is on the cards as well.

She was cheap and i was finished working on the 650, truth be told i enjoy working on things as much as i enjoy riding.
Old 27-06-17, 11:45 AM   #6
Hapo

...thank you...it is a brave new world ah comin'...