SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-07, 05:51 PM   #1
Gazza77

Default Comedy call to Bennetts

Insurance renewal is due, so time to call around for quotes. The conversation with Bennetts included this:

Call centre: Is the bike modified?
Me: Yes, it has an aftermarket screen.
Call centre: Is that the make of it? Aftermarket?
Me: No, it is a double bubble screen that I fitted.
Call centre: What is a screen?
Me: Fits on the fairing at the front.
Call centre: Did it have one as standard?
Me: Yes, just replaced the original one.

A couple of minutes later:

Call centre: Any other modifications?
Me: Yes, it has an aftermarket exhaust.
Call centre: Is that in addition to the original one?

Have their staff ever seen a bike?!

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 06:36 PM   #2
the white rabbit

Default Re: Comedy call to Bennetts

Oh bejesus...

I rang BMW Motorrad Insurance aka Devitts to declare what countries I was visiting (they like that, apparently again) and listed them including Netherlands. The girl listened to the list and then said 'Oh I'm going to have to ask my supervisor, we don't list one of those'. Hmm I thought....Croatia, Slovenia perhaps....

She came back on after a few seconds and said, 'Oh, Ive sorted it out, you mean Holland, don't you?'

Old 11-04-07, 06:40 PM   #3
sinbad

Blimey o'reily. That's where you say, "hmm you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about, let me speak to your supervisor...........hi, yes, just wanted to tell you that because your calls staff are obviously totally clueless I won't be trusting you to insure my motorcycle, since making a claim could result in me being asked whether the bike was being used for intergalactic travel, or for mining purposes at the time, and I don't have the patience for it, thankyou."
Old 11-04-07, 06:53 PM   #4
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
Blimey o'reily. That's where you say, "hmm you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about, let me speak to your supervisor...........hi, yes, just wanted to tell you that because your calls staff are obviously totally clueless I won't be trusting you to insure my motorcycle, since making a claim could result in me being asked whether the bike was being used for intergalactic travel, or for mining purposes at the time, and I don't have the patience for it, thankyou."
Quote wasn't cheap enough to worry about that, though it does make you wonder what the cover would be like!

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 06:54 PM   #5
Stig

I like that. You could almost think that is must have been a windup call.
Old 11-04-07, 07:02 PM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

I'm insured with Bennetts (for this year), but as soon as it runs out I will be going elsewhere. The aftersales service is garbage. They asked if I'd had any other claims in the last 3 years, i said no (thinking it related to Motorcycles). They sent me a snotty letter stating that there were a couple of claims made through another insurance company. I rang them & explained that it was on my car (someone jumped on the roof on a Friday night). They told me that they had to have the full insurance history whether it was car or bike and asked me to put in writing when it happened (which they had told ME in the letter they sent), how much the claim was for & what it was for. I had to do all the phoning up for them, put it in writing & sent it back to Bennetts. They sent it back to me saying they don't know why I sent them the letter & didn't know what it related to (Oh how I laughed). A few weeks later I got a recorded letter saying that I had'nt been in touch with them & that they were cancelling my insurance. I wont tell you how I replied on the phone it would be full of ***. They said they would send me a letter of apology (which I'm still waiting for). So I wont be with them after June...... A total waste of time
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 08:16 PM   #7
andyaikido

This isn't good... I'm insured with Bennetts as they were far cheaper than anyone else this year. I'll have to hope I don't need to use it.
Old 11-04-07, 08:32 PM   #8
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyaikido View Post
This isn't good... I'm insured with Bennetts as they were far cheaper than anyone else this year. I'll have to hope I don't need to use it.
If you have to claim, they won't be interested, they will tel you to call the insurers and they'll duck out. They're only interested in the sale.
Old 11-04-07, 09:01 PM   #9
StreetHawk

Hmmmmm... I'm with Bennetts too.. Also hoping I don't need to use them!

They gave me the best quote by far though. My SV is only costing me £70 more a year than my Aprilia RS125 did.
Old 12-04-07, 02:29 AM   #10
andyaikido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
If you have to claim, they won't be interested, they will tel you to call the insurers and they'll duck out. They're only interested in the sale.
I'm TPFT anyway so unless it's nicked I won't be giving them any more than a courtesty call.