SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-01-09, 07:40 PM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default Croft Facing Closure

One of my favourite tracks is facing closure......Would be an absolute shame. The laws should clearly be changed.

Why bloody move near a race circuit/airfield to then bloody moan about the noise........it boils my blood.

Future of the Northern race track hangs in the balance

Organisers at Croft circuit, near Darlington, fear that if a recent court decision is not overturned, the famous circuit could soon face closure.
A family living next to the track reportedly won a case forcing Croft's owners to pay £150,000 compensation, as well as an estimated £700,000 in legal costs. The damages were apparently for loss of quality of life that the family's barristers claimed had been caused by the noise of cars on the circuit.
Interestingly, the complaint was not about organised race events, which only take place on approximately 50 days each year, but instead regarded vehicle testing days and open track days.
Organisers at Croft fear that if this decision is upheld, many similar cases will follow, and the financial blow could prove fatal. An appeal against the decision was heard last week at the Court of Appeal in London, but as yet no decision has been reached.
Meanwhile, the family concerned also attempted to gain an injunction restricting activity at Croft to just 40 days-per-year. The judge is said to have refused this request, but the claimants are cross-appealing this decision.
Croft circuit grew out of a disused RAF base first raced on in the 1920s, before being used by the airforce again in World War 2. Since then it has grown into an world-famous racing circuit, hosting various club events, as well as British Touring Car Championship and British Superbike Championship rounds.
The circuit generates an estimated £3m a year for the local economy, with its visitors bringing activity to local businesses.
Dennis Carter, director of organising body Croft-Promo-Sport, told The Northern Echo: 'Our future really depends on what the court decides. I do not want to sound too alarmist because I would like to think we can still find a way through this. The people at Croft do a fantastic job for us and I would really like it to continue.'

Old 19-01-09, 07:50 PM   #2
rob13

Default Re: Croft Facing Closure

Thats appalling, Croft is the local circuit and the last couple of years Ive enjoyed going to the BSB meets there and watching track days that orgers have took part in.

I cant believe that one family has managed to bring this on something which has been going for years. How many complaints did they have? I know someone who lives nearby and they are given free tickets for every event there to sweeten the deal.

Like you said, who buys a house near a racetrack if theyre going to be put off by the noise? Its like buying a house next to Heathrow and then complaining about the planes taking off.

It just goes to show that if you push something enough, then you'll get money for it.
Old 19-01-09, 08:04 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Its rediculous, I imagine the house is not even worth the £850k that croft have had to pay out so far......they may as well buy all the houses around the circuit if they all think they can pull this trick.
Old 19-01-09, 08:13 PM   #4
rob13

It would make sense for them to do it, just to stop the complaints. The problem is if one family has managed to make a killing from it, whats stopping other surrounding families from doing it. The courts have set a precedent by allowing this. What is stopping similar complaints from any other racetrack in the country?

Lunacy in modern times.
Old 19-01-09, 08:17 PM   #5
Berlin

Very sad news. But very believable.

About two miles along the road from us we have the track used for the national grasstracking championships. Its a fantastic event, very freindly and exceptionally well organised.

Unfortunately, there were "complaints" from the local village which isn't in line of sight of the track (its in a dip) about the noise and the fact that the safety fencing around the track had white posts that were "Unsighly".

The complaint (singular, it was only one as it turned out) went to court and an injunction was granted so that all race meetings will end at 6pm regardless of whether the race meeting has finished.
The complainant aslo asked that the posts were painted green so as not to be such "an Eyesore".

In a classic example of a judge who was having to abide by the law against his actual thoughts, he aslo asked if they would like all of the sheep in the area painted green too as they also must have been "an Eyesore" under the same parameters!

Needless to say, they declined.

So we now have championships being hurried to abide by the ruling and green fence posts. Instead of whinging, if the Complainant had got of hos butt and gone to the event, he'd have seen what a fantastic day out he'd try to ruin.

I really hope Croft doesn't go the same way.

Carl
Old 19-01-09, 08:19 PM   #6
pmapp
Mega Poster

I've seen it happen a few times now with kart tracks - long established ones. Only one 'neighbour' needs to complain and it can screw things up royaly.

Fingers crossed the judge see's sense and tells the complainers to go forth and multiply.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 08:31 PM   #7
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post

The complaint (singular, it was only one as it turned out) went to court and an injunction was granted so that all race meetings will end at 6pm regardless of whether the race meeting has finished.
The complainant aslo asked that the posts were painted green so as not to be such "an Eyesore".
Most tracks have stipulations put on them....like at snetterton you cant race before 10am.....cadwell all racing has to stop by 6pm.

They pretty much ALL have sound limitation.

But law suits like this put tracks out of business, the world has gone mad.

(on a good note Mallory have just started increasing the size of the bund around the track to keep noise in no more super quite noise limits)....(that they didnt stick to anyway)
Old 19-01-09, 08:37 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Most tracks have stipulations put on them....like at snetterton you cant race before 10am.....cadwell all racing has to stop by 6pm.

They pretty much ALL have sound limitation.

But law suits like this put tracks out of business, the world has gone mad.

(on a good note Mallory have just started increasing the size of the bund around the track to keep noise in no more super quite noise limits)....(that they didnt stick to anyway)
Yes the world has gone mad, one person can stop a whole load of peoples enjoyment.

But try getting one person who's ruining other peoples lives then we'll be infringing on his Human Rights - even if his done some hienous crime

Last edited by maviczap; 19-01-09 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 08:37 PM   #9
vzzzbuxt

oh for gods sake!

this country is etting F-ing stupid, i mean dont bloody move there in the first plase- f-ing tossers.

if i knew i could get away with i id find the family and burn their f-ing home to the ground... leave them in it of course*.

*DISCLAIMER - i wouldnt actually do this, its a temporary bust of rage at a stupid bloody family being a bunch of total dicks! i bet they wont reimburse the yearly local encomomy loss on shutting the track either!
Old 19-01-09, 08:40 PM   #10
vzzzbuxt

W8nkers!
W8nkers!
w8nkers!!!