SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-05-10, 11:22 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Nanny state restrictions - what would you do?

Fast forward 20 years. If bikes have been restricted to 49bhp, or fitted with GPS tracking units, or 40mph is the national speed limit, what would you do? Be honest, sincere and realistic and don't type out of bravado for the sake of it.

My Brother in Law tells me lots of people in France where there is a 100bhp limit, ride unrestricted bikes, to the point where some dealers actually throw an programmable ECU into the sale of a new bike to sweeten the deal (for track day use only!).

Would you put up with it? Would you give up biking? Would you ride around on an illegal bike or at illegal speeds everywhere, and stick two fingers up to the state? What if that meant you were fined and endorsed until you lost your license? Would you just emigrate?

I'd certainly ride illegally if I could get away with it like they do in France, and I'm a normal law abiding citizen, but there is only so much control and restriction that human nature can take.

If I couldn't get away with it I'm actually pretty close to being able to honestly say I'd just emigrate! I've always dreamed of living in the sun anyway. My wife and I have gone as far as investigating career options and taking holidays in the South of France with the specific aim of looking for suitable towns where we would like to live. The only reason we haven't done it is because we would be reliant on her career as my French is not good enough to get a job straight away and that option didn't look like it was going to work out, so now she is retraining as a teacher here. I'd seriously re-examine it though, if the state is going to interfere in my freedom of choice to that extent, would I want to live here?

Last edited by -Ralph-; 05-05-10 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 11:31 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Nanny state restrictions - what would you do?

I'd probably emigrate too.

I never liked idea of living in USSR which is what it is turning into here
Old 04-05-10, 11:52 PM   #3
Specialone

You can get a lot of land for your money in certain parts, me and my wife looked in to it a few years ago, more of a pipe dream really tbh.
I would love some land, 50 acres +, maybe a small lake.
Old 05-05-10, 12:03 AM   #4
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post

I'd certainly ride illegally
if i get stopped and lose my licence then id just ride with out it, but that is only if it got stupied like you all have to ride 125 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'd probably emigrate too.

ummmmm god parents live in mallorca & have family in australia

Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 04:29 AM   #5
Red Herring
Mega Poster

The only problem with this theory as although we all say we want freedom of choice and lack of state control we all at the same time enjoy the lifestyle it allows us.

There are plenty of countries out there were there are far less laws to break, and those that do exist are openly ignored, but they're not exactly the safest places to live. I grew up in South America, and i still have a property out there, but much as i love the lifestyle I am very much aware that the rule of the jungle still very much applies.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-10, 05:49 AM   #6
Lozzo

There are countries within striking distance of UK that are far more relaxed and enjoy the sun for more days of the year than we do, it's just a matter of learning a new language and being prepared to forsake English customs and integrating fully into their society. Personally I'd choose to emigrate, but I'd hate to go somewhere that's regarded as an ex-pats paradise as they seem to attract all the wrong type of brits. For me it would be a small town out in the sticks where the mayor is the local bar owner who stays open way after licensing laws allow, and his sister has a flower shop that also doubles as a funeral parlour, that kind of place.
Old 05-05-10, 06:05 AM   #7
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
The only problem with this theory as although we all say we want freedom of choice and lack of state control we all at the same time enjoy the lifestyle it allows us.

There are plenty of countries out there were there are far less laws to break, and those that do exist are openly ignored, but they're not exactly the safest places to live. I grew up in South America, and i still have a property out there, but much as i love the lifestyle I am very much aware that the rule of the jungle still very much applies.
I agree fully, but we enjoy the lifestyle we have today. Nobody's suggesting we revert back to the rule of the jungle, but we don't want it to swing the other way either and become the rule of the jail.

I'm a law abiding citizen today, I pay my taxes and buy my insurance, and most of the time I stick to the speed limits and don't stop in yellow boxes. But it's all about balance, society has implemented laws, and in the majority people are happy to abide by them, and so society functions as it does.

The rule of the jail is one where people are restricted, they are not allowed out, denied pleasures (lets not get into a debate about the prison system!), and told what to do. Most people don't like the jail system and don't want to go there. You can make laws so draconian that people feel that they are effectively "jailed".

There is lots of talk about this happening on our roads. We are already one of the safest places to drive or ride in the world! I'm quite happy with most of our road laws as they are, because they achieve that balance of safety vs freedom very well.

Implement the scenario in my OP, an I think we will start to see the balance tipped over, where a majority of previously law abiding people, feel restricted (metaphorically jailed!), a GPS device on a vehicle is akin to a tag on a young offender! The majority then no longer become happy to abide by the law and you've lost that balance, and it's a slippery slope from there.

I started this thread to see how much of a majority there actually was amongst bikers.

The widespread introduction of 50mph speed limits, in places where stats show there are actually more accidents have occurred at 50, than at 60, is an indication that when it comes to road safety, our government doesn't understand that balance and they think they can improve road safety via draconian regulation. My 50 yr old stepfather, who follows the rules of the road to the letter, now breaks the law every morning, because his road to work which has been a 60mph limit in relative safety for 30 years since limits were introduced, now breaks the law every day, because the limit has changed and he refuses to drive at 50. The authorities responsible have just pi$$ed off exactly the kind of citizen they need on their side and made him loose respect for the speed limits.

If the government in this country is going to at some point in the future, tell me that I effectively cannot ride my motorbike, then I'll move to somewhere where the government has been sensible enough to maintain the balance that we enjoy today.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 05-05-10 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 06:17 AM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I agree fully, but we enjoy the lifestyle we have today. Nobody's suggesting we revert back to the rule of the jungle, but we don't want it to swing the other way either and become the rule of the jail.

I'm a law abiding citizen today, I pay my taxes and buy my insurance. But it's all about balance, society has implemented laws, and in the majority people are happy to abide by them, and so society functions as it does.

The rule of the jail is one where people are restricted, they are not allowed out, denied pleasures (lets not get into a debate about the prison system!), and told what to do. Most people don't like the jail system and don't want to go there. You can make laws so draconian that people feel that they are effectively "jailed".

There is lots of talk about this happening on our roads. We are already one of the safest places to drive or ride in the world! I'm quite happy with most of our road laws as they are, because they achieve that balance of safety vs freedom very well.

Implement the scenario in my OP, an I think we will start to see the balance tipped over, where a majority of previously law abiding people, feel restricted (metaphorically jailed!), a GPS device on a vehicle is akin to a tag on a young offender! The majority then no longer become happy to abide by the law and you've lost that balance, and it's a slippery slope from there.

I started this thread to see how much of a majority there actually was amongst bikers.

With the widespread introduction of 50mph speed limits, in places where stats show there are actually more accidents have occurred at 50, than at 60, is an indication that when it comes to road safety, our government doesn't understand that balance and they think they can improve road safety via draconian regulation. My 50 yr old stepfather, who follows the rules of the road to the letter, now breaks the law every morning, because his road to work which has been a 60mph limit in relative safety for 30 years since limits were introduced, now breaks the law every day, because the limit has changed and he refuses to drive at 50. The authorities responsible have just pi$$ed off exactly the kind of citizen they need on their side and made him loose respect for the speed limits.

If the government in this country is going to at some point in the future, tell me that I effectively cannot ride my motorbike, then I'll move to somewhere where the government has been sensible enough to maintain the balance that we enjoy today.
I agree wholeheartedly with every word. It is getting to a stage in Britain where we are effectively living in an open prison.
Old 05-05-10, 06:25 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

easy, make sure the nanny state doesn't happen. Vote on Thursday and get rid of the control freaks with their cameras everywhere
Old 05-05-10, 06:49 AM   #10
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
easy, make sure the nanny state doesn't happen. Vote on Thursday and get rid of the control freaks with their cameras everywhere
OK, sticking with realistic votes, meaning the three main parties. Which one is promising to get rid of all the cameras?

(I must read the manifesto's tonight!)