SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-10, 09:38 PM   #1
hongman

Default Riding Gear

Hello

I'm heading to the BMF bike show on the 15/16th May, and after hearing about the incredible bargains there I'm hoping to pick up all my gear there. Should be going with a few biker mates but if they bail then I'll be going on my larry lonesome.

I need/want a full face lid, leather jacket, leather trousers, boots and gloves to start off with.

Comparing mainstream sites like mandp is all good, but at the bike show I wouldn't know a bargain if it slapped me in the face! mandp seems to be on the dearer side of things though.

Any tips on particular brands etc? What to look out for on each piece? I'm really not up with the good, bad and ugly of biking clothing.

Looking for lower-midrange gear along the lines of:

Lid - £100?
Jacket - £100?
Trousers - £100?
Boots - £100?
Gloves - £80?

If I need to spend an extra £20-30 on whatever to jump a "tier" then so be it - to be honest I'm not even sure these price limits will even get me anything decent. I want it to last me at least a year or 2.

Tips please I have literally no perception lol.
Old 28-04-10, 10:38 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Riding Gear

Lid whatever fits you best, £100 will get you a reasonable one. £200 and you're up into the base model from the premium makes (shoei and arai) or the better models from the mid-range makes. Buy what fits you, if it don't fit, it ain't worth owt!

Jacket, personally I would buy secondhand leathers. same with trousers. I like teknic, cheap but decent. Lots of crap leather around. Frank thomas etc fall in bits. Dainese I would not touch with yours as they are wop crap meant to look good not save your skin, even if they do charge you £500 for the privilege of skin grafts.

Boots, oxtar/tcx are among the best. Sidi are OK too but some "italian character" occasionally.

Gloves, halvarssons are pretty much only ones I would buy. They are <£80, depends whether you want full racy/vented, winter or mixed/do it all.
Old 28-04-10, 10:45 PM   #3
hongman

Thanks chris!

Am I supposed to buy the trousers one size bigger to allow me to wear normal trousers underneath or is that already taken into consideration? Same with jacket.

I want all rounder gear, don't want 2 sets of gear.

Second hand leathers...fleabay?
Old 28-04-10, 10:46 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I don't like oversize leathers, your normal jeans get all folded up and you end up with betty swollocks.

You riding all year round?
Old 28-04-10, 10:53 PM   #5
hongman

Mostly going to be riding for fun, chances are if I need to go out in torrential rain or freezing cold I'll take the car. So mainly dry riding though no doubt the rain will catch me out at some point!

When I rode before I had a "thing" about going out purposely in heavy rain just because ... wonder if I'll get that urge again
Old 28-04-10, 10:59 PM   #6
barwel1992

personally id try and spend a bit more on a lid, as YC say's make sure it fits, make sure it has some good standards EG sharp ratings and stuf like that, i like AGV helmets (GP-tech)

I like rst gloves (moto pilot) never ever buy alpine* glove's i had 2 sets both fell apart within months my mates also fell apart

boots i like sidi's (vertigo) because they are the only ones i can get on (big kankles)

leathers once again i like rst stuf most seems well made and a good price although i would never touch there textiles again, all the zips on my txtile rift jacket have had to be sewn back on at one point or another plus it doesnt stay water proof for long, rift leathers are nice and dont seem to carry the problems the textiles do

id also get a decent neck roll, i have mine over my nose cheeks and ears to keep the cold out and also keeps the noise down as it seals the bottom of my helmet off against the chin curtain

most of my stuf was quite exspencive but there again i have finanshal backing and its one thing my parents are willing to spend out on

i dont whare any base layers as such, just long socks a t-shirt and boxer's i dont get that cold in the winter but there again im carrying my own brand insulation

my kit cost in total around the £700+ mark but at least i know most of it will last a long time dont skimp if you can help it !

Last edited by barwel1992; 28-04-10 at 11:01 PM.
Old 28-04-10, 11:07 PM   #7
hongman

Thanks. Just browsing fleabay...looks like some good deals on! Although I'm holding out til bmf to see what's on offer there first. At least I'm armed with some brand knowledge to shop with
Old 28-04-10, 11:10 PM   #8
metalhead19

+1 to what both YC and Barwel have said about the lid. ATM i have HJC, fits perfect and for what i paid i cant complain (was in HG sale )
I have two sets of gloves, one for winter (HG thick beasts) and then a summer set i got of ebay.
Started off with full textile gear, Fully recommend the Duchini trousers and my kooro jacket (and i have never heard of it either lol) Then purchased HG leather jacket, cant fault it at all, until it comes to the point of wanting the other half for track days ect....then i would say dont bother as its a total pain in the aris.
Old 28-04-10, 11:14 PM   #9
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
Thanks. Just browsing fleabay...looks like some good deals on! Although I'm holding out til bmf to see what's on offer there first. At least I'm armed with some brand knowledge to shop with
ebay is good i got my AGV GP-tech for £215 inc P&P RRP is £440 and still is for the colour i got
Old 29-04-10, 07:42 AM   #10
hongman

Thank you peeps!