SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-11-19, 09:04 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Desiccant dehumidifier

The humidity in my concrete garage is hitting 98% rH which is about the limit my gauge will register and I have a fan running constantly. Admittedly, it's new and it takes time for the concrete to dry out but I remember condensation dripping off my bike with the last garage.
Therefore, I've been looking at desiccant dehumidifiers because they work better at lower temperatures (than compressor types) and some of them have heaters to dry out their desiccant so no constant replacement.
Anybody have any experience of one?
This is the one I'm thinking of buying:
https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...i-dehumidifier

(Zambezi does seem a weird name though)
Old 04-11-19, 12:37 PM   #2
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default Re: Desiccant dehumidifier

I have had a good compressor one in the past, and looking at this I suspect the other one I had was one of these (came from a Chinese drug gang who left it in the father in laws house they were using when they got nicked so I didn't buy it). It worked very well and was quiet.
I have a small cheap one for my garage which takes an age to do much (I can't see anywhere this gives an extraction rate).

There are some a lot cheaper on that site though, it's in a garage so not like you'll be looking at it all day.

Name comes from (in the manual)
From every Meaco DD8L Zambezi sold £2.00 is donated to the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation
(DSWF) to help in their work to save elephants in the wild. There is actually an elephant called Zambezi
who was rescued by the DSWF team in Zambia and is now thriving at their Elephant Orphanage Project
where they help elephants return to their natural habitats. We are grateful to artist Jonathan Truss for his drawings of happy and sad Zambezi which feature on the control panel.

Ste

Last edited by BoltonSte; 04-11-19 at 12:41 PM.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 01:35 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

I went ahead and ordered a Meaco Zambezi. I have a compressor dehumidifier, too, but when I tried it in the garage I was surprised how little water was in the tank the next day, when used in the house there was much more, but the house was considerably warmer.
Old 04-11-19, 08:44 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Dessicant dehumidifier cost more to run than compressor ones, but as you say they work at lower temperatures. We have had a compressor dehumidifier in the house for last 20 years or so, on our second one now, the first one lasted about 15 years, had the present one for about 5 years. House is always nice and dry and they actually give out more watts in heat than they draw in power, and it costs less to heat a dry house. I remember for the first few weeks after we first used one I had to empty water tank ( 3 litre tank ) a couple of times a day, but once the house was dried out it went down to once every 2 or 3 days. I first bought one because of dust mite allergy because if you keep humidity around 50% they can't breed.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote