SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 29-12-06, 05:54 PM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Home network help

I need help sharing folders on my PC with my laptop.

Details below

Laptop running XP pro and Norton (latop using a Wireless usb dongle)
PC running Xp and norton (PC Lan into router)
Netgear router/modem

What do i need to do. I have tried all the wizards but it dont seem to work.

Step by step please
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 06:56 PM   #2
jonboy

Norton? You're a brave man .

Why not just plug the laptop into the desktop, using the LAN ports on each machine? That should work instantly (he says ). Though you may need to create a new network connection.

Old 29-12-06, 07:05 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

First off Ian, are you using any security on your wireless network ?

as without it anyone within range can hijack you shares or Internet connection

you should have wep encryption 128 bit, and I'd advise registered MAC's as well.

to share a folder in XP just select the required folder and right click on it, select "sharing", with in the top dialog box click "share anyway" (or something like that) if you don't need to setup permissions. the folder shoild show a cupped hand under it.

from another machine going through network niegbourhood select the machine, this should show all shares on that machine. select the one you want and you should have access (both read & write).

Cheer Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 07:42 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
First off Ian, are you using any security on your wireless network ?

as without it anyone within range can hijack you shares or Internet connection

you should have wep encryption 128 bit, and I'd advise registered MAC's as well.

to share a folder in XP just select the required folder and right click on it, select "sharing", with in the top dialog box click "share anyway" (or something like that) if you don't need to setup permissions. the folder shoild show a cupped hand under it.

from another machine going through network niegbourhood select the machine, this should show all shares on that machine. select the one you want and you should have access (both read & write).

Cheer Mark.
Mark, yes running 128 bit Wep and 'This machne only' in the access list.

Done waht you said but the shared folder does not show up in the network Nieghbourhood thingy. I get 3 options
MS Terminal services
MS Windows network
Web client network

I go into all 3 and nothing shows.

JB. Been using norton for 5 years now and never had any issues, then again i dont do anything major.
Old 29-12-06, 07:52 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

have you created a workgroup or domain ?

in the MS window network you'll find it if you have.

if not go to the "My computer" icon, right click and select properties.

you should see something like network ID, set up a workgroup and call it something like "home", do the same on the other PC.

you should now find this network in your network connections.

(can't give exact as I'm on a 98 machine).

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-06, 07:54 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

OK can you do a basic check for me. On your PC

Click on "Start" then run, in the little box that comes up type in "cmd" and then hit return, this should pull up a DOS window. in the new window type in ipconfig and then hit return. You'll get all sorts of stuff up that looks like gibberish...

in the first couple of lines it'll say "IP Address ....... : " then some numbers. Make a note of the numbers it'll probably be something like or at least in this format 192.168.0.2

On the laptop Click on "start" then run, in the little box type in "cmd" and then hit return, in the DOS window that comes up, type in ping followed by the numbers that came up on the PC i.e.

"ping 192.168.0.2" and then hit return. if you get something up like this

reply from 192.168.0.2 with some more numbers that tells me that the PC and the laptop are talking to each other. If they are not you've got a networking problem.

This is what it looks like on my laptop

Now I know that Liz's laptop on the same wireless lan is 192.168.0.3 so this is what I get back when I ping her laptop, you should get a simialr result if you try and Ping the PC from your laptop if everything is working as it should be.

I've got a netgear wireless router so I can't see any reason why it shouldnt work.

If they are then do what Rictus has just posted and make sure that the Laptop and the PC are in the same workgroup, then follow the rest of his instructions.

OK these are the screens that Rictus is talking about, this is what should come up if you right click my computer and choose properties

click the "change" button and then make sure that on both PC's you have the same text in the "workgroup" box, doesnt matter what it is as long as its the same

Make sure that your PC and the laptop don't have same name though otherwise it wont work.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-06, 10:06 AM   #7
TEC

All good advise but if that Norton is a firewall then nothing will work unless its permitted through Not sure where the setting is (I hate NOrton as much as the next person) but you will need to add in allow traffic from the IP address of the PC/Laptop (needs to be done on both), much hair pulling if not done
Old 30-12-06, 11:13 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Cool guys thank you. I will try that out later today.

I think that there might be some norton stuff going on. I think i know what the settings are as well
Old 30-12-06, 11:45 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

Yeah anti virus software can be a right pain in the ****. The first thing I did when I upgraded my laptop to xp was to rip out and disable warnings about the Microsoft firewall. All my stuff sits behind proper firewalls so I don't need to slow down PCs with extra garbage. But I really struggled with my mail. I was convinced there was something wrong with my mail server as it would not accept smtp connections. I knew it could not be my new laptop as also a telnet to port 25 would not connect either, Yet if I moved the port on the server everything was ok.

Only when I tried another pc that worked did I start looking at the new laptop and when I turned off the anti virus it suddenly connected. Doh. the antivirus also stopped outgoing mail. BTW that was McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
Old 30-12-06, 11:53 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Woohoo, i doine it. I went through the firewall on laptop and pc and made sure that they permit each other only to connect and roberts my das brother.

Thank you to the above

I also just noticed that this is in the soho bit. Sorry about that