SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-06, 11:16 AM   #1
Jase22

Default Bike MOT time...

I am aware that it is a legal requirement to display a rear reflector on your bike, but is there a legal requirement for a seperate number plate light?

The reasoning I would use to suggest this is not necessary would be that most older bikes didn't have a number plate light fitted at all, but the difference was that the under side of the tail light was clear to allow light through.

But when I ride with the lights on, it still sheds light on the numberplate, and will probably shed more when i get the mountings sorted out to angle the plate out backwards. Is this a grey area, or am I looking at an MOT fail?

Note that I fitted an undertray without a facility to mount the original light, see below:

Old 10-02-06, 11:50 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I think that would be technically a fail... But that's not to say it definately would. How cheeky is your bike otherwise?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 11:56 AM   #3
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
I think that would be technically a fail... But that's not to say it definately would. How cheeky is your bike otherwise?
At the minute, it has no reflector, but I'm fabricating a bracket to get that sorted. It does have a blatantly illegal ART can on it, but it was damaged and then repaired and I "accidently" used BS numbered straps to fit it back together. The number plate is a standard one, has standard font, size, spacing etc but I chopped it down to a more appealing size, so perhaps the outer spacing isn't 100% legal.

Other than that, I think stuff's pretty much above board. I also have a friendly MOT place where the plate and can wouldn't be an issue, but was mainly concerned about the number plate light.
Old 10-02-06, 12:06 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Pot luck then I suppose!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 12:13 PM   #5
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Pot luck then I suppose!
Never been pulled by a bobby for it or anything, so hoping I'll be ok. The place I go is run by a bike enthusiast who happens to love loud cans, I hope he also likes undertrays!!
Old 10-02-06, 12:24 PM   #6
PBx

I've been through an MOT and passed without number plate light in the last 2 years. Actually it was led lights, but they showed white to the rear so the guy said "you chose: lose them and pass, keep em and fail". I must admit I was a bit suprised, but when I queried it he said it wasn't an MOT issue, but you could get pulled if riding at night.
Old 10-02-06, 02:45 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Easy bit.... buy a simple stick on reflector for push bikes and stick it to you plate. Now you are legal on that aspect.
the issue with the lghts you mention not being on older bikes wont apply to you. Its like cars that didnt have rear belts dont now have to go get em put in, but if your car had them and you took em out you'd fail the mot.

If your place is friendly, then i'd take the bike there, ask them your questions before booking it in so it all above board when they test it.

hth
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 05:01 PM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

You can get small stick on reflectors from moass bike shops they're about the size of a 10p coin and cost about £1.50.

You'll probably get away without the number plate light but if you do need one, motrax have got a little led number plate light in their 2006 catalogue for a tenner
Old 10-02-06, 05:30 PM   #9
madmartyn

i got two of those bolts with the coloured led,s in them used for custom bikes they hold my number plate on and passed mot as lighting too, even though they are blue.
Old 10-02-06, 07:15 PM   #10
Bonart

I wired 2 recessed LED's into my rear light after getting pulled one night.
Have a look at this thread to see my picture of it.