SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-07, 04:39 PM   #1
Svkid

Default smoke!! lots of it

after topping up with sum engine oil while giving the sv a blast it seems to hit a dead patch and then smokes violently a bluey white smoke for a few minits then stops altho apart from the sudden dead spot at the start performance is the same.

was like a red arrow. anyone direct me to fairford??
Old 17-07-07, 04:44 PM   #2
toonyank

Default Re: smoke!! lots of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svkid View Post
after topping up with sum engine oil while giving the sv a blast it seems to hit a dead patch and then smokes violently a bluey white smoke for a few minits then stops altho apart from the sudden dead spot at the start performance is the same.

was like a red arrow. anyone direct me to fairford??
Well, blue smoke is OIL. Seeing you've just topped up have you checked the level? If it's too high that's the problem among other things. You DON'T want the oil level too high.
Old 17-07-07, 04:48 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I second the above.

If the level is too high then it will blow right out the breathers and into the airbox, a little oil in the airbox is normal I believe but could be worth having a look to see if yours is flooded with it.

Also do it soon as too much oil can make it froth and do damage due to the air bubbles not lubricating bearings properly (or so ive read) and Ive seen too high an oil level blow rear main bearing seals on car engines.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 05:00 PM   #4
Svkid

arggggggggggggg im worried is there ne qwick fix ie drain sum out before i go buy new filters and oil?
Old 17-07-07, 05:04 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Check the level properly first,with bike upright on level ground.If it is above the top line in the sight glass there is too much in there.Loosen the filter a bit to let some drain out.
Old 17-07-07, 05:05 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Well first look at the sightglass and see if it is actually over the level.

If it is then Id say drop the lot into a measuring jug and put the correct amount back in, if you try draining a little bit out by the sump plug then you'll just end up covered in it.
Unless you can arrange a syringe and a tube down the filler cap, never tried it myself.
Old 17-07-07, 05:08 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Oil filter sounds a fair way to do it too, but catch the oil in something clean or have a supply of fresh oil on hand in case you let too much out.
Old 17-07-07, 05:15 PM   #8
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Oil filter sounds a fair way to do it too, but catch the oil in something clean or have a supply of fresh oil on hand in case you let too much out.
Yuurrrrp that's what I'd do and at the same time you'll oil the filter seal. You can control it well as just cracking it will just drizzle out.
Old 24-07-07, 04:29 PM   #9
Svkid

ok so now another question the bikes jus bin deristricted and now when slowing down backfires a beast is this due to carbs not set up properly?
Old 24-07-07, 04:46 PM   #10
ClemsonSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svkid View Post
ok so now another question the bikes jus bin deristricted and now when slowing down backfires a beast is this due to carbs not set up properly?
Sounds like you are running lean. Are you getting a noticable loss about power up high too? Do you have an aftermarket can and airfilter? Might need a larger main jet or just a needle shim depending on the severity. I wouldn't push it any until you know something for sure because you can do some real damage.