SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-10, 07:16 PM   #1
Big Bad Al

Default knocking / clicking noise

I've recently noticed a knocking or clicking noise very evident when acelerating, hardly happening when at constant speed and never evident when slowing down. The noise seems to increase as the road speed increases and then either stops or I just can't hear it any longer. I initially suspected the chain, which is scotoiled and well adjusted. However when the bike is on stands I cannot repeat the problem by turning the wheels by hand or by running the bike and I assume that's because there is no "load" on it. Anyone got any ideas?

I've bought a set of bearings which I'm going to replace this weekend as that was the other possibility, but again they seem fine when the bike is on the stands.

The noise is load enough to be heard above the extremely noisy Beowulf so there is def something going on. (maybe my reg/rectifier Sid?!!)
Serioously any ideas much appreciated.
Old 23-04-10, 10:40 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: knocking / clicking noise

Firstly, check your oil level!
Old 23-04-10, 11:06 AM   #3
Big Bad Al

Oil is level is just perfect and the bike has never burned much - thanks though. Just out of interest, would low or too high oil likely cause similar symptoms?
Old 23-04-10, 11:31 AM   #4
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

I had a similar issue on my SV when I had it. Turns out it was the chain runner / protector thingy (sits on top of Swingarm as it goes inside the frame). It was worn down and the chain was clicking over it.

I then had a similar click sound again. The second time, baring in mind I had a spotless chain, it turned out a couple of the links were stiff and as they went round the sprockets would "click". Solution was to parafin the chain and work each link seperatley with lube. It stopped it for a while, but in the end chain had to be replaced anyway.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 06:56 PM   #5
Big Bad Al

Well I replaced front and rear bearing and still had the same noise. Just today I put on a nice new Tsubaki gold, x-ring chain and steel sprockets and the noise has gone, bike feels great. BTW the chain tool I bought did a lovely job of breaking the old DID chain, no effort. Looks to have done a lovely rivit as well, so I'm pleased with that - £40 odd quid well spent. Sealey VS779 for reference.
Old 17-03-11, 03:29 PM   #6
Andrew's

I thought I would bump this one, I am having issues with clicking on a slight throttle between 3-4k in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Despite only having 6k I think my chain is ready

This thread has similar info http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=139353&page=5
Old 17-03-11, 04:12 PM   #7
benji106

only 6k but have you kept it well lubed? Anyway I wouldnt have thought that the cause would be the chain f you are only hearing it at particular revs, especially that particular. I could hear a clicking, rattling sound on my bike the other day, took me a good 10 mins to work out it was the disk lock keys rattling against the yoke
Old 17-03-11, 04:14 PM   #8
Andrew's

Yeah, I use it year round [only bought it in November though], and am pretty liberal with the lube!
Old 17-03-11, 05:33 PM   #9
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I heard some ticking coming from Sylvie's engine today, it sounds like metallic tapping when the engine is running and increases the speed of taps with acceleration. I know that my Valve clearance check is due soon, but would this make this sound? (Also my chain is knackered and clicks all the time, but is going to be replaced soon. ) The engine tick however is there all the time when the engine is running, even when not moving the bike. I have had to adjust the tick over speed this week because it seemed to drop very low and would not start, could this be connected? Recently changed oil and filters and then topped up the oil after a short ride to ensure that it stayed with in the lines on the glass window.

Sylvie is my faithful and trusty K3 and I have done 1500 miles on her in the last month, putting her to just under 14 000 miles. She has just had new tyres, a service and is about to have a new chain and sprockets because I think that the current set are the originals and winter riding killed them, no thanks to Muc Off Chain lube, which is cr@p!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-11, 04:12 PM   #10
Andrew's

Right, I cleaned all the chain up and it made little difference. Took it to a garage who confirmed that a couple of links were knackered and recommended changing the chain. Until then I'm taking it steady....