SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-02-18, 03:54 AM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Newbie to group - advice needed!

welcome.

dont know what height you are but i'm 5ft fek all and can pretty much flat foot on my SV but it took a lot of work.

my advice would be buy a pair of ladystar boots (google it) 40mm lowering links and drop the forks through the yokes 20mm. dropping the forks through the yokes brings the front end in line with the lowered rear so keeps the handling of the bike more standard. if you are around 5'3'' then the above should have you pretty much flat footed.

buying the boots above is an investment and can transfer to other bikes and will serve you for a loooong time. spending £800 in parts on a bike you might change in a year or two is not.

you cant sculpt the seat of the galddy as there is fek all foam to start with so you will end up making it flatter which is not good for short people as it splays your legs wider.

there are other tactics you can learn like sliding your bum over to the left before coming to a stop at lights etc.etc. if you practice and learn it now it will become second nature. also instead of trying to swing your leg over the bike stand on the foot peg then mount the bike (like getting on a horse) stops you scratching the paint or falling over trying to do a karate kick to get on.

always park your bike in gear and never ever drive into a parking space with your front wheel on the kerb. never 'paddle' a bike around with yourself on the bike, get off and push it around, in/out of parking yada yada. being short requires a bit more effort and you learn from mistakes that tall people cant understand.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 09:30 PM   #12
Missb

Thank you for all your replies. Lots of useful information and food for thought. Looking at engine bars too - at the moment we have seen S W Motec, Renntec or Hepco - anyone habve any experience in any of these?
Old 02-02-18, 10:29 PM   #13
NTECUK
Mega Poster

BMW and Triumph do low seat options.
Straddling a bike is still a good option and I used that to good effect on my old Tiger 800.
Fortunately the Street triple is easier for some reason and very light.