SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-02-18, 01:48 PM   #1
Tamsen Cooper

Default Want to see inside my SV engine...?

Hi All,

I have had a tough 6 months and had not made any new content for a while, but I am back now and as always, I welcome your thoughts and comments on the latest video.

I bought the engine second hand with the pure purpose to take it apart and film myself doing it. I welcome suggestions for future videos too, especially now I have a whole engine to play with!

https://youtu.be/hAbRVTQNC9E

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Last edited by Tamsen Cooper; 06-02-18 at 01:50 PM.
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 09:13 PM   #2
yokohama

Default Re: Want to see inside my SV engine...?

An informative video that. Having never gone further than the plugs, it's interesting to see how it all fits together inside.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-18, 10:00 PM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Brilliant as always. I thought I understood but now realize I had a few things wrong with my "knowledge". Great to see the clutch elements. Shims aren't what I imagined either!

Thanks for making the video.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 01:46 AM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Its nice to see people taking an interest in how engines work, and particularly using a SV for demonstration. However, the explanation of how the engine starts could in my opinion do with some tidying. The following is my basic understanding...

When the starter motor is activated it spins the idle gear, which in turn spins the starter clutch. This is not a fly wheel but a one way clutch where by in one direction it is inactive but in the other it will transfer the power from the starter motor via the idle gear to the starter clutch which then turns the crank. And once the engine has started the the starter clutch is disengaged.

I'm sure there is a lot more that can be added to that and it would be interesting to see, such as how the starter clutch actuates, how it engages and disengages particularly once the engine is spinning, and (as its been a while since I've been inside a SV engine) why that idle gear has two sets of teeth. Ideas for future videos.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 10:38 AM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Good video - and can I say without being called a misogynist that it is great to see women taking an interest in engines and such - well done.

how a generic sprag clutch operates..

https://www.gmnbt.com/sprag-clutches.htm

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 01:12 PM   #6
Chris_SVS

Tamsen is well worth a sub on youtubes, she's my go-to when I tackle jobs (with a manual/parts diagram for reference also)
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 02:01 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Nice to see some of the inners of the engines
Old 07-02-18, 06:55 PM   #8
Tamsen Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Its nice to see people taking an interest in how engines work, and particularly using a SV for demonstration. However, the explanation of how the engine starts could in my opinion do with some tidying. The following is my basic understanding...

When the starter motor is activated it spins the idle gear, which in turn spins the starter clutch. This is not a fly wheel but a one way clutch where by in one direction it is inactive but in the other it will transfer the power from the starter motor via the idle gear to the starter clutch which then turns the crank. And once the engine has started the the starter clutch is disengaged.

I'm sure there is a lot more that can be added to that and it would be interesting to see, such as how the starter clutch actuates, how it engages and disengages particularly once the engine is spinning, and (as its been a while since I've been inside a SV engine) why that idle gear has two sets of teeth. Ideas for future videos.
I think that is a fantastic idea for a video, and now I have the engine, I can look to do more detailed videos on each section- thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-02-18, 06:56 PM   #9
Tamsen Cooper

Thank you to everyone that has watched and commented on here and via YouTube. This forum site has always been the first place I launch my videos, I really do appreciate the support xx
Old 14-02-18, 11:19 AM   #10
stinkerbill

Only half-way through watching, but what a great video!

I know plenty about taking some bike parts to pieces and doing pretty much aesthetic-only mods, but I've always steered clear of engines (I know about 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow' and a little more than that!) so for me this is a real education.

Keep 'em coming!
stinkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote