SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-07, 05:19 PM   #1
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default International Biking......

Looks like I am off to the US in a month or so to visit friends.

My friends dad is a biker, and this will be the 1st time I have visited and had a license.

So, what do I need to ensure I ride legally?

Clothing I understand (tho could be wrong) is the same as over here, ie you can do shorts, t-shirt and trainers if you are dumb enough.

Mostly its about helmets/insurance/license.

Helmets - I have seen that Shoei/Arai lids are about £100 cheaper over there - $425 vs £350 for the same model. Now I know that no circled E means no go over here - can a UK lid be worn legally in the US? I am in the market for a new lid following my off, but I DO still have a spare, so getting a lid before I go is not necessary, but I am considering shopping on the 8th @ ExCel, but if I can get it in the US THAT much cheaper I would rather wait.

Next is Insurance etc. I assume my UK driving licence is good for the US - fly-drive holidays seem to indicate that, but do I need special insurance? - I guess this question is for the US contingent of the .org.

Thanks for any info

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-07, 10:45 AM   #2
Tiger 55

Helemet - dependant on which state you're in if you even need one! Still believe in freedom of choice in the great State of Iowa for example. Your UK helmet will be fine though if you do need one.

Insurance - your mate's Dad's problem in terms of vehicle insurance and a standard travel insurance policy will cover you for the $10 million worth of medical bills involved in putting a plaster on in hospital, unless you are racing or earning.

Licence - UK licence is fine but if you're gonna be there for a while get a State one, it's easily the best ID for getting into bars.

Fun - have it!
Old 30-01-07, 11:41 AM   #3
Jdubya

Default Re: International Biking......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
but I am considering shopping on the 4th @ ExCel,
David
I'm sure you meant this...
Old 30-01-07, 12:07 PM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster