SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-09, 09:59 PM   #1
radicalry00

Default Thread sealant

I've been having issues lately with the connection where the fan sensor attaches to the radiator on my SV. I loosened it a few weeks ago and it was majorly cross-threaded; as a result of taking it off it wouldn't re-tighten properly and would leak pretty badly once the bike was started.

I have since had the thread in my radiator helicoiled with a steel thread but although the bolt now tightens pretty well, there is still a very small bit of leakage coming from the connection. I think the helicoiled thread is (very slightly) too large for the bolt.

Tomorrow I am going to try adding some PTFE tape but I was wondering if a smear of 'Instant Gasket' or some other sealant compound would be good for sealing the connection better?

Or has anyone got any other recommendations? Any help appreciated!

Last edited by radicalry00; 16-09-09 at 08:02 AM.
Old 16-09-09, 08:02 AM   #2
radicalry00

Default Re: Thread sealant

There must be someone else who has had a leaky connection somewhere??
Old 16-09-09, 08:34 AM   #3
Dicky Ticker

The tape will do the job,but don't slap a lot of turns on it,normally a couple of turns will do.

Excuse me asking but are you 100% sure it is the thread that is leaking as helicoil is normally pretty good fit providing the correct size is used.Perhaps the sensor threads are damaged which the tape should rectify
Old 16-09-09, 08:45 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
The tape will do the job,but don't slap a lot of turns on it,normally a couple of turns will do.

Excuse me asking but are you 100% sure it is the thread that is leaking as helicoil is normally pretty good fit providing the correct size is used.Perhaps the sensor threads are damaged which the tape should rectify
I agree.
Old 16-09-09, 07:00 PM   #5
radicalry00

Well I've just taken the fan sensor out again and smeared some Heldite on to the threads and also replaced the rubber o-ring with a new one as the old one looked a little worn. I will let the Heldite cure for 24 hours and see if it's OK tomorrow.
Old 16-09-09, 07:24 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

If this doesn't work, then and old trick we used to use was some fibres from a rope. But it has to be a natural rope made of sizal. When it gets wet i expands, making the seal tighter.

I think you can get plummers twine or something like that, which does this from somewhere like screwfix
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-09, 07:44 PM   #7
radicalry00

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If this doesn't work, then and old trick we used to use was some fibres from a rope. But it has to be a natural rope made of sizal. When it gets wet i expands, making the seal tighter.

I think you can get plummers twine or something like that, which does this from somewhere like screwfix
Thanks Maviczap, will try this if this doesn't do the trick. I have bought some plumber's tape just incase!
Old 17-09-09, 09:58 PM   #8
radicalry00

Well I've just come back from a decent ride on the bike and it's now sorted. Did around 75 miles and no sign of the leak. Heldite and the new rubber washer did the trick!
Old 18-09-09, 06:36 AM   #9
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning.

Glad to hear you got your problem sorted.

Often with Helicoils, or similar thread restoring inserts, the installer doesn't get the thread for the insert quite square, leading to the item ending up slightly skew wiff!
It's good practise to use PTFE tape, or a non hardening compound on such items as a precaution.

Cheers.