SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum



Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-18, 11:08 AM   #171
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster
 
yorkie_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax/Leeds
Posts: 26,620
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

https://mvhelene.tumblr.com/post/165...rom-first-week

Bought a trawler...
__________________
SV spannering in West Yorkshire.
Servicing, Modification, Repairs and Suspension Tweaking
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 11:19 AM   #172
timwilky
Member
Mega Poster
 
timwilky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Not in Yorkshire. (Thank God)
Posts: 4,084
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Why? That's an expensive toy. Still if you want to sink it and then have your own private dive site. That's your own decision who are we to question a fool and his brass.

Do I take it you now need to get lots of new tickets to sail the thing.
__________________
Not Grumpy, opinionated.

Last edited by timwilky; 11-01-18 at 12:56 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 01:01 PM   #173
Seeker
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NE Lincs
Posts: 178
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Bought a trawler...

Is that a Seine Netter?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 01:43 PM   #174
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster
 
yorkie_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax/Leeds
Posts: 26,620
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Why? That's an expensive toy. Still if you want to sink it and then have your own private dive site. That's your own decision who are we to question a fool and his brass.

Do I take it you now need to get lots of new tickets to sail the thing.
Already sailed it from Sunderland to Glasson Dock Lancaster no tickets nor fook all...

Bought it on a Friday, spent next few days going at the hatchet-job the bacon eaters had done to the wheelhouse wiring and trying to make sure I roughly knew how everything worked in case of problems. Chasing round like a nutter buying radios, spare fuel filters etc.

Went as far as Tyneside the Monday to buy a small splash of diesel , then set off for Inverness and the caledonian canal entrance on the Tuesday. 42 hours up there including an hours stop for breakfast at Stonehaven. With a u/s autopilot compass so manual steering all way...



Then the caledonian... few days and 29 locks and a few lochs trying not to squash any expensive plastic tat along the way!

Then 28 hours or something from Fort William via Douglass down to Glasson. Irish Sea was a bit sporting.



Currently refitting her to use for taking diving charters out so yeah do need to go and get some actual quaffilimacations to do that commercially (yachtmaster and commercial endorsement)
__________________
SV spannering in West Yorkshire.
Servicing, Modification, Repairs and Suspension Tweaking
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 01:43 PM   #175
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster
 
yorkie_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax/Leeds
Posts: 26,620
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Is that a Seine Netter?
Yes Danish Seiner

Not any more since the rope drums got introduced to a hot spanner
__________________
SV spannering in West Yorkshire.
Servicing, Modification, Repairs and Suspension Tweaking
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 02:49 PM   #176
punyXpress
Member
Mega Poster
 
punyXpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Riding, North
Posts: 2,598
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

No water skiing then, Chris ?
Have fun with it
__________________
Was: K2 naked in rapid yellow - gone to a better? place
Now: Street Triple R
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 04:15 PM   #177
shiftin_gear98
Member
 
shiftin_gear98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Stansted Mountfitchet CM24
Posts: 472
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Looks Epic, Enjoy.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 04:25 PM   #178
garynortheast
Member
Mega Poster
 
garynortheast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 1,058
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Ha! Before you know it there'll be a sub group of trawler owners to join the sub group of Trumpet owners on this SV forum!

Sounds like it was an epic trip, enjoy yourself Chris.

Last edited by garynortheast; 11-01-18 at 04:26 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 04:31 PM   #179
timwilky
Member
Mega Poster
 
timwilky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Not in Yorkshire. (Thank God)
Posts: 4,084
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Already sailed it from Sunderland to Glasson Dock Lancaster no tickets nor fook all...

Bought it on a Friday, spent next few days going at the hatchet-job the bacon eaters had done to the wheelhouse wiring and trying to make sure I roughly knew how everything worked in case of problems. Chasing round like a nutter buying radios, spare fuel filters etc.

Went as far as Tyneside the Monday to buy a small splash of diesel , then set off for Inverness and the caledonian canal entrance on the Tuesday. 42 hours up there including an hours stop for breakfast at Stonehaven. With a u/s autopilot compass so manual steering all way...



Then the caledonian... few days and 29 locks and a few lochs trying not to squash any expensive plastic tat along the way!

Then 28 hours or something from Fort William via Douglass down to Glasson. Irish Sea was a bit sporting.



Currently refitting her to use for taking diving charters out so yeah do need to go and get some actual quaffilimacations to do that commercially (yachtmaster and commercial endorsement)
At least you are parking it somewhere nice. Watch out for the scum that visit at night. I had a former colleague that lived on a retired lifeboat at Glasson. I bet your glad you did the Caledonian rather than go the whole way round this island.
__________________
Not Grumpy, opinionated.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 05:10 PM   #180
maviczap
Member
Mega Poster
 
maviczap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,695
Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I bet your glad you did the Caledonian rather than go the whole way round this island.
Yes, the Pentland Firth can be rather rough, as I found out during a trip from the Orkneys to the mainland, where our 33 metre boat pretended to be a submarine.

But the West coast is a special place to go by ship, boat or yacht, if the weathers nice.

I would like to do the Cali canal one day

Chris well done for investing in a money pit Enjoy
__________________
We're riding out tonight to case the promised land
Make everyday count
RIP Reeder - Jolly Green Giant and comedy genius
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 months and qualified to teach kids? missyburd Idle Banter 42 10-03-09 09:04 PM
.org scuba divers! gazman Idle Banter 7 12-12-08 09:45 PM
Should have brought my scuba gear mister c Idle Banter 1 06-09-08 09:02 AM
.org Scuba Divers lukemillar Idle Banter 21 21-03-08 05:57 PM
Any scuba divers on here Davie SV Ecosse 29 27-08-07 03:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.