SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-07, 09:35 AM   #1
philbut

Default Notify insurance about suspension mods???

Hi there. Just thought I'd ask all you knowlagable org.ers about whether you tell your insurance companies after carrying out a suspension mod. Specifically, swapping the rear shock for that of another bike. It's not a posh WP or Ohlins or anything so doesnt really add any value, and its not set up for race use or anything.

In the event of making a claim, could they try and wriggle out of paying despite the fact it adds neither performance or value?

Ta
Phil
Old 06-11-07, 09:41 AM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Notify insurance about suspension mods???

i would not tell them.

as i doubt if they will be able to tell the differance, or that they would even bother to look

IMO
Old 06-11-07, 09:43 AM   #3
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
i would not tell them.

as i doubt if they will be able to tell the differance, or that they would even bother to look

IMO
True. the new shock I have added has remote pre-load, so they could spot the extra control thingy mounted by the pillion pegs. That would give it away, but even then, they might not know the bike isnt meant to have one (its a ZZR600 btw, my SV is still on the OEM shock).
Old 06-11-07, 10:10 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
In the event of making a claim, could they try and wriggle out of paying despite the fact it adds neither performance or value?
Depends, if they thought that the mods you had made contributed to the cause of the accident or not I would think.

I have all my mods declared it made precisley naff all difference to my premium and I know that should I come off I dont have to worry about the insurance company discovering that I have altered my bike. Last thing you want to be doing is worrying about this sort of stuff after you've had a big off you want to concentrate on getting well not worrying about whether your insurance company are going to pay out or not.

If it were me I'd delcare it, if its puts the insurance past the point where you can afford to pay it, then dont modify the bike.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 12:31 PM   #5
fat_brstd

none of the suspension mods on my tl are declaired, I have been told by carole nash that they were not willing to insure me if i had them. I believe this was mainly down to an age thing as i am under 25.

on a side note when did you get a zzr 600 and what year is it? It that to replace the gpz? i thought you were looking at a vfr-400?
Old 06-11-07, 12:31 PM   #6
DanAbnormal

Personally, I would declare it for this reason.

Imagine (if you will) you have an accident and for some reason you are at fault. If your insurer or the other parties looks over your bike and notices that you have a suspension upgrade (that will no doubt increase performance of the suspension) they say you are un-insured.

I would be a bit paranoid about this and think it prudent to declare it should the worst happen.

You just never know!
Old 06-11-07, 12:52 PM   #7
charlie13

I read the article in MCN about declaring any non-standard items to your insurer. I told Carole Nash about absolutely everything that's been tweaked/changed on mine and it made no difference to my insurance. The parts that are non-standard on mine are generally like-for-like replacements of standard fitment items tho with no substantial mod's to the bike. The only thing they did say was that the aftermarket exhaust would be priced as a standard item if it ever came to sorting out replacement value.

Mod's declared were: EBC HH pads front and rear, Metz Z6 tyres, HEL braided brake lines, WP Proline progressive fork springs, K&N air filter, Remus Grand Prix full exhaust system.

My shiny Dymags go on the bike tonight so Carole Nash will be getting another call when they're fitted to be declared, as well as the Shad luggage.
Old 06-11-07, 07:55 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

I tell them everything... But I'd most especially tell them about s shock swap from another bike, because that's exactly the sort of thing that insurance assessors and accident investigators take an interest in- since it smells so bodgey.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 09:13 PM   #9
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_brstd View Post
on a side note when did you get a zzr 600 and what year is it? It that to replace the gpz? i thought you were looking at a vfr-400?
Got it from a chap in Northampton, its a 1994. Cost just over a grand in all now I've sorted the suspension and a few other bits and bobs. I don't commute now so just wanted a comfy motorway bike to haul me and junk / Mrs round the country. The SV is in such good nick, it seemed a shame to wear it out on boaring streight roads. The can is too bloody loud anyway, it gives me a headache after a few hours. Also thinking about doing a bit of Europe next year and the ZZR will be a lot comfier, plus it looks like a barge anyway so I dont mind fitting luggage

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll get a few quotes from people and see if mentioning the mod affects the price. If its not silly money I'll just take the hit on cost to keep everything legal.