SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-03-24, 02:19 PM   #6381
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

I always start high on mower to trim the tops off, and then work down to about 40mm, never cut grass down lower than that anyway with the kind of rye grass mix we have, you can go lower if you have some fine fescue grass ( like bowling greens or Wimbledon LOL ) but does not pay to cut too short. 'A little and often' is good advice for lawns as the grass grows more densely if it is taught how long you want it to be.. Just got the dremel out and touched up the edge of the mower blade, a sharp blade gives a nicer cut ( does not just knock the grass over ) and gives the engine or leccy motor an easier time as well.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-24, 02:30 PM   #6382
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Got my bike insurance quote today from Broker ( they are normally pretty good and offer a couple of different companies ) and it seems that Zenith have decided not to offer me cover this year ( dunno why, I have never claimed off them ). Anyway last year fully comp with legal cover was just over £100, and this year the brokers alternative was £230 without legal cover and £350 excess...... Went online to Carole Nash and the price is £228 incl legal cover but with £250 excess. Smile of the day got a quote off Bennetts and got £129 including legal cover. Bike is garaged in attached garage and our postcode seems OK with car insurance, so do not know why it more than doubled since last year.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 06-03-24 at 02:32 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-24, 05:02 PM   #6383
yokohama

After the house insurance renewal quote almost doubled and the car insurance renewal went up from £135 to £220, I was dreading the bike insurance quote. However Bikesure have pleasantly surprised me. Fully comp last year was £122; this year it's £114 including the legal cover. Excess is £500, same as last year, but that's my choice. I'm happy with that and I don't have to waste time trawling comparison websites.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-24, 10:31 PM   #6384
redtrummy

Its worth googling who is underwriting the policy, look on Trustpilot too. The company Bikesure wanted to use for my bikes had terrible reviews.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-24, 08:42 AM   #6385
Kenzie

I spoke to my insurance company about why it's gone up so much and they are blaming cost of parts, labour and paint as a reason for premiums going up. Also hire car costs are killer as well. Not our fault but they certainly pass the cost rises on to us.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-24, 05:58 PM   #6386
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

As it is getting close to end-of-hibernation day for Hugh I have fished a box out of the understairs cupboard. It's been there for three months since I bought it in the slack, ie cheap, period of the year. It has my new bike boots in it and much to Lady Poppy's amusement I'm wearing them about the house to break them in a bit. They have way more armour in them than my knackered old ones so they feel very different...