SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-04, 03:20 PM   #1
stevelondon1979

Default New rider - Black SVs K4 - Opinions required

Hi all,

Just got receipt of a stunning new black K4 S model, and loving it - 200 miles on the clock in 4 days. Looking forward to going on the rideouts soon, after the run in period. What I'm looking to do is...

Change to a nice fruity can - not full system - anyone any suggestions for a budget of £200ish. What's people's thoughts about race/road legal? How many of you have been stopped and more importantly fined for having a loud can? My guess was a micron one, but also I don't fancy fitting it myself due to lack of tools and space - any london based good dealers? Should i get it done at the Suzi dealer so that it doesn't invalidate the warranty?

Change to a nice small number plate, plus cut off the plastic monstrosity at the back that is the number plate and indicator display, and put the plate directly under the rear lights. Again due to lack of tools I'd like to know if you could recommend anywhere who could do this mod for me.

Finally - and this isn't as cool - what are your thoughts on a top box that is removable? Are there any decent makes out there? Don't like the Suzi one as it takes up the pillion seat, but I do want something secure to keep my work stuff in that I can remove for pose value at the weekend? Perhaps a frame based one like you see on some fazers?

I'm not normally this DIY-inept, but don't want to mess up my baby!!
Look forward to your thoughts...
Old 03-11-04, 03:22 PM   #2
splke

Default Re: New rider - Black SVs K4 - Opinions required

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelondon1979
Hi all,

Finally - and this isn't as cool - what are your thoughts on a top box that is removable? Are there any decent makes out there? Don't like the Suzi one as it takes up the pillion seat, but I do want something secure to keep my work stuff in that I can remove for pose value at the weekend? Perhaps a frame based one like you see on some fazers?

I'm not normally this DIY-inept, but don't want to mess up my baby!!
Look forward to your thoughts...
Hi welcome and ask Jonboy about the Top Box :P
Old 03-11-04, 03:45 PM   #3
DeeJay

SteveLondon1979.... you the guy i was talking to in J&S (Watford) last week??

And No!! to the top box!!!
Old 03-11-04, 03:48 PM   #4
Mogs

Take a look at this thread http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=14262, Guy H has a topbox, its about the best I've seen, still spoils the lines though.
Old 03-11-04, 03:48 PM   #5
Dirty Baz

hello and welcome.

can - I got my road legal oval scorpion for £199. with baffels out it sounds great. you could go for a race can and you could get carbon or Ti for £200 but only if your insurance don't mind. also, the cops up here are pretty relaxed up here so not sure what's best for you down in London. also, fit it yourself, it only takes 10 minutes with a hack-saw and some spanners!!

****-end - I'd recommend the Hamicad tail tidy. again easy to fit yourself, although the new design is very fiddly. theres also a good one on Ebay I believe.

top-box - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope that helps!
Old 03-11-04, 06:06 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: New rider - Black SVs K4 - Opinions required

Quote:
Just got receipt of a stunning new black K4 S model....
Nice one, and in the best colour too.

Quote:
Change to a nice fruity can - not full system - anyone any suggestions for a budget of £200ish. What's people's thoughts about race/road legal?
Don't spend too much money, despite the claims by various people, just about all the cans available for SVs are to a very similar design, and don't make anything like the improvements that some people have claimed for them.
I like ART cans, made well, (the most important concern), and not stupidly expensive.

Quote:
cut off the plastic monstrosity at the back that is the number plate and indicator display
Take a look at the Hamicad fender eliminator, it's pretty easy to fit, but I dare say there'll be somone willing to help you if necessary.

Quote:
Finally - and this isn't as cool - what are your thoughts on a top box that is removable? Are there any decent makes out there?
Ignore what some have said about topboxes, if it makes your bike useful to you, do it, Givi and Nonfango are both good makes.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-04, 06:34 PM   #7
bluebell

Hi
Old 03-11-04, 07:20 PM   #8
Warren

pm jonboy
he is our sites topbox and luggage expert

top guy - always happy to give advice
Old 03-11-04, 08:10 PM   #9
chutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
pm jonboy
he is our sites popsox and lingerie expert

top guy - always happy to give vices a try
Old 03-11-04, 08:59 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

£200 gives you a choice of, well, most of the cans out there. I think even having a Suzuki dealer may invalidate your warranty, definately check that one out...

Get one with removable baffles but the e-mark stamped on the can. Don't get one with Not For Road Use on it. It's not so important now with the new MOT rules, but if you do get pulled you're far less likely to get done with an e-mark, even with the baffles out.

And personally, I'd say not Micron. Nothing wrong with them, but they're a little pricey for what you get, and for me they always seem lacking in class... If I was buying a slip-on, I'd go for a Rene, Yoshi or maybe a Remus or Blue Flame. Some of those are not cheap, but you can find slightly used Yoshi triovals for under your maximum sometimes...

I did have a road legal CCC slip-on, it looked and sounded fantastic but after a while (and a few rideouts) it just wasn't enough.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote