SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-02-09, 05:11 PM   #21
Mej
Mega Poster

Default Re: memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
.. thats very interesting that memory is attached to moving. Is that really true??? ....my short term memory is rubbish.

I think that if you have been through some harsh times it makes you turn inwards more then most others. Perhaps an escape from what is going on in your surroundings and finding a happier place.

There are some memories that I have that I sincerly wish I could erase. Sadly memory doesnt work that way and the only way to deal with them is to find a positive angle to them.

Mark I think you more then most have lived to the max and so your memories are going to be plentiful.
+1 everyone goes through bad times, some worst than others, i think thats why some people turn to drink/drugs, i know a few people who have done this, some recovered and some are still at it.

Last edited by Mej; 27-02-09 at 05:14 PM.
Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-09, 05:20 PM   #22
keith_d
Mega Poster

Damn, I think there's another cliche coming...

Of course we mostly remember the good bits. The boring days and most of the crap bits get forgotten. Otherwise we'd all be quite mad.... gibber, gibber...

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-09, 05:32 PM   #23
Mej
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Damn, I think there's another cliche coming...

Of course we mostly remember the good bits. The boring days and most of the crap bits get forgotten. Otherwise we'd all be quite mad.... gibber, gibber...

Keith.
Did something about it in Psychology where if you actually think about it most of the things you can remember well from childhood are things related to trauma, apparently trauma inprints things on the mind.

An example would be 9/11 most people can remember what they were doing when they found out about it. Or pain related things.

Although for instance my christmases were good when i was younger i cant really remember too many of the earlier ones.

Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-09, 09:58 AM   #24
vixis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
The other side of the coin.

I did not have a happy childhood and my teenage years were little better. You'd be surprised at the abuse that went on behind the doors of what looked like an affluent London suburban household. I still wonder whether I see things darker than they really were. I repeatedly come to the conclusion that I don't and that my bitter memories of my father - still so raw after 40 years - are deserved and justified.

Funny really, because it got so bad not that long ago that I had counselling for it. The counsellor encouraged me to confront these issues so I could relax about them, but I can't, and so I try not to think about them, but I can't do that either, so I go round in circles.

Life only got better when I left for good in 1982, aged 21. I should have done it years before - I had the chance to emigrate to the USA, I turned it down. Ah well
Not surprised Ed, but sorry to hear you experienced it. My Dad was also an *expletive*. I say that makes us stronger, even though its a sucky way to do it, and we end up with more compassion for others