SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-18, 04:53 PM   #21
UnoSD

Default Re: SV650AL7 chain and sprockets kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Going back to your first few posts in this thread--------are you sure you know what you are doing? You wore out a chain in a very short mileage and you think the shop had left the chain too slack. You tightened it up yourself then it wore out. You mention it squeaking which is normally a symptom of being too tight. Too loose might result in banging as it hits the swingarm. Too tight will cause wear to the chain and maybe the gearbox but a bit too slack is unlikely to cause any problems unless it is slack enough to fall off. What you describe sounds like you have been running the chain too tight.
It was squeaking when the garage did the alignment and the slack not me. This is why I did not trust them the next time... I put the slack that was written in the manual, but I probably cocked up the alignment as I did it with naked eye.
Old 20-09-18, 08:56 PM   #22
SVrider

Hi, what combo did you got in the end ? I`m only replacing the front sprocket now at 13k.
Can`t find anywhere front sprockets torque spec for the AL7.
Cheers
SVrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-18, 08:13 AM   #23
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
According to the manual the torque setting for the engine sprocket nut is 145 Nm or 107 lb/ft
I think that's what I used when I replaced mine last year.
Old 21-09-18, 06:16 PM   #24
SVrider

Thanks a lot lads. Job`s done. It`s not in my L7 user manual. ( `address to your dealer if sprockets are used`...)
145 Nm it`s a lot; i nearly tipped the bike of the rear stand.
Cheers.
SVrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-18, 10:24 AM   #25
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Something I've not seen mentioned very often if at all is that some Rear sprockets are flat and symmetrical but the one I fitted and the one that came off mine are not.They have to be fitted with the Maker's,"Ident" parts number etc facing outwards otherwise the chain presents the wrong angle to the front sprocket.

Also I never trust the adjuster markers,at least on older machines,so always check and set mine using a metal tape and the distances between the Swinging arm bolt centre and the centre of the Rear wheel axle.

I've only got about 6,000 miles on this set but only adjusted it once and then probably less than a 0.2mm.I use a combination of 80w90 Hypoid gear oil and Mso2 as a lube.I'm not a,"Throttle and Brake" rider preferring to ride smooth but fast and keep my gear changes as smooth as I can both throttling up and down and match engine speeds when coming down so as not to chunk the chain and gearbox etc.
Old 22-09-18, 02:27 PM   #26
Bibio
Mega Poster

tight enough is good enough as it has a locking washer. i never use a torque wrench on used nuts/bolts.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote