SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-04-06, 09:58 AM   #1
Ed

Default If anyone in the Midlands or North...

...is planning on trailering their bike to Cornwall in summer and has space for one more then please let me know Don't want a boring, tyre-squaring 320 mile M6/M5/A30 trip
Old 19-04-06, 05:34 PM   #2
Peter Henry

Come on Ed,square tyres is a bum excuse. You don't buy a new bike to throw it on a trailer. Get out there and ride the thing!
Old 19-04-06, 05:54 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

For once, and possibly the only time, myself and Peter are in complete agreement.

Ride it.

300 miles won't ruin a tyre, and if you're that fussed don't go on the motorway, find a more interesting route.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-06, 06:15 PM   #4
Anonymous

OR fit a touring tyre.

I did 1000 miles on my BT090 on motorways and it was getting low... swapped it in Germany for a Michillin (sp) touring tyre (cant remember make) and it handled just as well as the 090, but the wear rate was fantastic... all the way to luxembourg and then back up to York on motorways and it had barely worn anything off.

Go on ed... motorways can be fun you know... highspeed filtering is the way to go..
Old 19-04-06, 06:46 PM   #5
chazzyb

Shrewsbury to Cornwall without using a motorway? You gotta do it!
Old 19-04-06, 06:53 PM   #6
Ed

Hmmm, let's see now... A49 Shrewsbury to Hereford, A438 to Ledbury, A417 to Gloucester, A38 via Bristol to Tiverton, A3072 to Okehampton, A386 to Tavistock, A390 to Truro, A39 to Falmouth.

Sorted

Perhaps I'll stick to the motorway
Old 19-04-06, 07:04 PM   #7
kwak zzr

3 hours of mind numbingly boring motorway and it'll soon be over. when i come over your way Ed i jump on the M54 and in 20mins i'm off it! boring but the fastest way!
Old 19-04-06, 07:13 PM   #8
tomjones2

Dont use the motorway and if you do keep your speed down a bit, seems to have helped my tire wear quite a lot.
Old 19-04-06, 07:25 PM   #9
Anonymous

when i head south on my bike (dont do it often and dont enjoy it) i use motorway. its 450 miles one way. ive done it in the cold and then in the rain. neither were fun but then i had my bike to have some fun on when i got there. go for it ed
Old 19-04-06, 08:00 PM   #10
Ed

The most interesting part won't be the mind numbingly dull M5 - besides it'll be gridlock for cars all the way, it always is in summer (and this year there is a 20 mile contraflow from Brizzle to Clevedon) - but MIL's reaction when I turn up in leathers