SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-19, 12:09 PM   #11
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gladius Comfort

There are Motorycle seat pads around,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...t+pad&_sacat=0
Old 28-04-19, 12:11 PM   #12
quinnj3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
You may already be doing this, but just in case: ride with the balls of your feet on the footrests, and just move your feet as needed to change gear / brake etc. This helps avoid all your weight being on the base of your spine, as your legs are acting like shock absorbers and helping to support your weight..

Hi thanks,

Yes I do this. I couldn’t get comfortable any other way.

I was out this morning for a run. Just taking it easy; a bit damp and miserable. I was paying attention to my posture and found that I’m naturally riding with weight off my wrists and I don’t grip the bars tight. When traffic was slow I found my core was doing a lot of the work which surprised me tbh. Just my **** is getting numb on that seat. I also sit quite far back on the seat so my legs are comfortable but if I sit as far back as I’d like my arms are too straight so I have to compromise a little there although my arms and legs are mostly comfortable.

I could also do with releasing some of the spring tension on the throttle as I’m having to apply pressure to hold it in position. I’d like that the weight of my wrist with a soft grip would be enough. Is this possible on my bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quinnj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-19, 12:16 PM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

The more you ride the less you will notice your wrists.Also exercise is good.I use some elastic exercisers to help with fitness and do,"Wrist Rolls" among other exercises.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Fitnes...Yy5AM8l3EzF44g

Also on any Motorcycle I get I sit on the Bike with my riding gear on but the Handlebars slacked off and move them until I find my,"Sweet Spot".

Once set controls will usually have to be adjusted etc.

Many people assume the bars are set correct when we all have different body dimensions.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 28-04-19 at 12:19 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-19, 01:38 PM   #14
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnj3 View Post
Hi thanks,

Yes I do this. <balls of feet> I couldn’t get comfortable any other way.

I also sit quite far back on the seat so my legs are comfortable but if I sit as far back as I’d like my arms are too straight so I have to compromise a little there although my arms and legs are mostly comfortable.
Try to ride with feet properly on the footpegs and sit forward.
You are probably having to sit back on the seat because on the balls of your feet the angles of your legs are more acute, therefore less comfortable.

More time riding and experimenting will give you experience of what works for you, so get out there and ride!
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-19, 09:12 AM   #15
quinnj3

Hi all,

I think it’s about time I got back on this thread. I’ve done a little over 1000 miles on the bike since I got it MOT,d. I didn’t do a lot of miles until my car broke down in June. I was forced to use the bike for a couple of weeks in all weathers. Since then Ive been taking it on my 25 mile commute a couple of times a week when the weather is reasonable. I’ve noticed my confidence and smoothness improve while my stiffness and soreness is also reducing. I can ride the 35min to work without any discomfort and have been on some 1 hour rides where I was just starting to get uncomfortable.

As I don’t live near a city my commute on the bike is no faster than the car and by the time I’ve geared up and warmed the bike it’s actually longer. No comparison though, it’s much more enjoyable. My commute takes me over some really bumpy roads where I’ve actually learned to put my weight on my feet for the worst of them to allow the bike to roll over them. I do find I tense up a little still in the corners with a bumpy surface although this is improving with every time out.

I do find the turbulence from other vehicles on my return ride from work, especially on motorways, plays havoc with my neck muscles. Will a small deflector screen improve this? If I get down on the bars race bike style this improves but is not a good look on a Gladius.

Old 27-07-19, 09:52 AM   #16
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnj3 View Post
Will a small deflector screen improve this?

define "small".

The answer is yes, maybe, probably not.

I have the one-after-the-Gladius, the AL7. Initially I fitted a small screen which Suzuki call the meter visor. https://www.twowheel.co.uk/suzuki-sv...een-black.html

It kept the wind off the speedo beautifully, but did nothing for me. Out came the wallet again and I bought a Givi A3111 https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/p...suzuki-sv-650/
Nicely made and it catches a lot of flies so I'm assuming I'm getting less airflow but it wasn't like: "wow, where's the wind gone?" In addition I now get a buffeting/turbulence effect when the wind is at certain angles, it's not unpleasant but noticeable. Edit: it's unpleasant following too close to an artic. but buffeting from large vehicles is always a problem on a bike on windy days.
Maybe you could get a large screen for commuting that is quickly detachable for fun riding?

Getting tucked in behind a sportbike style fairing will get you out of the wind but I always felt weird as people passed me (maybe I should have been riding faster than 30 mph).
Nothing wrong with Gladius sportbike-look:
http://44teeth.com/suzuki-sfv650-gladius-gladiator/

Maybe a Yamaha Tracer style of bike might work better if/when funds permit.

Last edited by Seeker; 27-07-19 at 09:55 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-19, 11:43 AM   #17
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

It's a shame the Gladius Headlight nacelle is not a standard round one like on my curvy or you could use the excellent PUIG Universal Windshields I use,

For their small size they are superb and I get next to no buffering even @ 70 Mph plus tax

As you can see from this video even @ speed everything is stable even the Camera taking the video,

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

The ones that fit my Curvy are only £32,

https://tinyurl.com/y4kw7vcf

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 27-07-19 at 11:44 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-19, 11:51 AM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I fitted an MRA screen ( https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA..._BwE#aCOL63009 ) to my AL7 and the first thing I noticed was the horrendous wind noise in helmet which I had never had before as the air that used to hit my chest was deflected up to helmet level and the upturned lip on top of MRA screen made the airflow turbulent - so off came the top lip ( about 70mm ) from top of screen and it was quieter, then I angled the screen flatter and really it was just a cover for the instrument binnacle, so I took it off. Like Seeker I didn't think 'wow where has all the wind gone' and my head was still buffeted by the bow wave off lorries and side winds and when I turned my head while moving. Noticed the buffeting more with my AGV helmet than with my Caberg Duke helmet, mainly because the AGV is longer back to front than the Caberg which is a more rounded shape.

If you are going to get a screen try to do as seeker suggested and get a proper touring screen with an adjustable top deflector and take it off for fun riding.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 27-07-19 at 11:54 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-19, 01:31 PM   #19
quinnj3

There’s a lovely tracer near me for sale: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8658552583603/

Pity I don’t have the funds!

Also I currently have an AGV helmet. I ordered an equivalent sized duke 2 this week but while there was a severe pressure point on my forehead the sides and cheek padding just weren’t tight enough allowing for severe movement. I’m in the process of returning and I’m trying a size down to see if that helps although I get the impression the Duke just won’t fit my head!?. Shame as I was really looking forward to it based on all the reviews.

Old 27-07-19, 01:56 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Yeah, not everyones head is the same shape and you need to try a few helmets on to see which one suits, other than pressure points and other stuff that will get uncomfortable you need to wear the helmet that feels comfortable and give your head a good shaking around and if the helmet moves try next size down, if that is uncomfortable - back to the drawing board.... repeat as necessary...

A helmet is one thing you need to go to a proper bike gear shop with a big selection for.. I don't think buying one on line is a good idea.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote