SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 24-01-08, 03:57 PM   #1
NadineDieBiene

Default Need help with my SV in Bristol

Hi there, I am in great dispare!!! Luckily some guy from the Tuning & Tweaking Forum advised me to post on this forum instead, cos my SV needs help...

I have not been able to ride my SV since early november last year because...well nobody really knows what is wrong. I am so frustrated because I haven't got the money to bring it to a garage and everybody I know who could repair her did not know any solution either. I live next to uni, which is very convenient for my final year, but apart from that, there is nothing around and I end up spending an aweful lot of money on bloody busfares for busses that never turn up. And I miss my bike.

My question is therefore, if there is any SV rider on this forum that lives in Bristol and has time to help me. i would rather pay some of you guys for their inconvenience and effort instead of some garage that will charge me however many hours of work just to search for the error, because to be honest, all I can say is that the battery does not charge.

I know you guys are all very helpful and I have asked questions on this forum before, but I am afraid I have to admit that I am a stupid girl, and advice such as exchange the X and the Y and bridge this with that and measure the Voltage here and there and if it is more than 14 and if it is less than 12...and so on... is all wasted! I just cannot put all your helpful advise into practise, hence the call for somebody to come around and have a look.

Here is the problem as far as I can narrow it down: One day, I drove to a tyre place 10 mintues from my house, my SV would not start anymore. The place was so kind to put it on charge for me while they fixed a new tyre, on the way back I went up and down the M32 with high speed - next day, the bike won't start.

So I go and buy a new battery (money, money, money) and three days later - the bike won't start. So somebody tells me that the regulator/rectifyer or what ever often stop working on SVs. ~So I buy a new one of these, recharge the battery, aaaaaaand - three days later I have the same problem. Then I get lots of advise on "it could be the altenator, or the wiring or the etc". But I am out of money that I spend for parts I didn't even need!

I stopped using my bike now because even when it is charged, it just does not feel right to ride it. It feels as if I am constantly working against something and the exhaust constantly bangs. Someone told me that is because the sparks are too weak.

I am sorry for this long email, but I had to explain my frustration. I would be ever so greatful if somebody would be able to visit me in Bristol and point out to me what it is that needs to be done or maybe even do it themselves. Like I said, I'd rather pay somebody who knows what they are doing and does not rip me off.

Thank you ever so much for your pacience - and please - no highly technical jargon anymore, I don't get it...

All the best,
Nadine
Old 24-01-08, 11:55 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Need help with my SV in Bristol

Been following your problem in the Tunning & Tweaking section, what Blue and Jambo are advising is the route I would take to find the fault. If the reg/ rec has been replaced along with the battery then its not going to be a nice one, but you never know until you take a proper look at it.

I was thinking alarm but you've ruled that out. Have you made any other mods to it? I remember you talking about the rear light - did you change the bulbs, as I have known incorrect bulbs to do the same thing; alas not on a SV though.

Do the voltage test as described and post up the results and we'll take it from there. However if you would like a second opinion or help with it then I could come down and take a look at it for you this Saturday. I would like to say though I'm not an expert, spannering on bikes has became a hobby for me but I will do my best.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-08, 09:59 AM   #3
NadineDieBiene

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Been following your problem in the Tunning & Tweaking section, what Blue and Jambo are advising is the route I would take to find the fault. If the reg/ rec has been replaced along with the battery then its not going to be a nice one, but you never know until you take a proper look at it.

I was thinking alarm but you've ruled that out. Have you made any other mods to it? I remember you talking about the rear light - did you change the bulbs, as I have known incorrect bulbs to do the same thing; alas not on a SV though.

Do the voltage test as described and post up the results and we'll take it from there. However if you would like a second opinion or help with it then I could come down and take a look at it for you this Saturday. I would like to say though I'm not an expert, spannering on bikes has became a hobby for me but I will do my best.
Hi there,
thank you very much for your help, I hope I will be able to do those tests till tonight and then let you know!

(Are you the one who did his degree at UWE?)

All the best,
Nadine
Old 25-01-08, 12:09 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadineDieBiene View Post
Hi there,
thank you very much for your help, I hope I will be able to do those tests till tonight and then let you know!

(Are you the one who did his degree at UWE?)

All the best,
Nadine
Yep thats me.

Though the bike will look a little different from the last time it was there...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-08, 01:54 PM   #5
anna
Mega Poster

hey there... dont worry about asking for help it's what we all have to do when we are starting out and there are a lot of people on here who are able to give some good advice.. also a lot of people in your area to help out
anna is offline   Reply With Quote