SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-08-14, 05:57 PM   #11
Phoenix22

Default Re: Aftermarket Chinese levers? Pointy.

I would be wary of buying safety related items from China. I had a pal who got set off e-bay. The clutch lever snapped resulting in a lurch forward into a wall. The bike fell over resulting in his Mrs busting her shoulder. It could have been worse........much worse.
I'm sure they have sold thousands of them without incident but I would prefer to pay a bit extra for this kind of thing.

I know Pazzo etc are expensive in comparison but they have a pretty rigorous quality control system in place that ensures the levers are at least as good as the OE ones, something that the Chinese can't possibly do at that price, all they are doing is making something that looks the same. Also, I rekon your insurance may take a dim view of things if a claim was caused by failure of a substandard aftermarket part you had fitted & not declared. The finish wearing off may be least of your worries.

My Pazzo's have been on for about 50K & 7 years now with no sign of wear whatsoever. I doubt you would get that from ching chong lever company etc.

They are cheap for a reason...Have you seen the state of some of the influx of Chinese copy bikes that are on the road at the moment & not even a year old!!!??

Last edited by Phoenix22; 13-08-14 at 06:28 PM.
Old 13-08-14, 07:01 PM   #12
SIII
Mega Poster

First person i have heard of having trouble with chinese levers. I had a set on the SV and now a set on the Gixxer. have no worries about using them. seller was dormouse-sleeps or something like that - very impressed with the set for the gixxer.

I bought a chinese pit bike 2 years ago for my daughter, it cost £450 delivered. It is absolutely brilliant for the money. USD forks, anodised rims, braided hoses. An absolute steal for the money. 2 minor problems in all that time and tons of mud - spark plug went down after a year and rear wheel bearings failed due to jet washing mud into them (probably my fault).

Haven't started it in 2 months because we lost use of the field, but i'll bet it starts 2nd kick.

Last edited by SIII; 13-08-14 at 07:03 PM.
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-14, 07:19 PM   #13
Phoenix22

I have had no problem with chinese levers because I would never fit them, or brake pads, or chains or discs anything else safety related that comes from there. As said before, at the prices they are churning stuff out at there can be no Quality control going on at all.

A pit bike is fine but you don't wan't even the slightest risk of anything failing if you have to pull up sharpish in a SMIDSY situation etc on a bike that weighs 240KG and can potentially need hauling up sharpish from 140mph + do you?

Last edited by Phoenix22; 13-08-14 at 07:21 PM.
Old 13-08-14, 07:39 PM   #14
MJC-DEV

Well, you pays your money etc....
I've had Chinese levers for 4 years now and they've been excellent.
Old 13-08-14, 09:14 PM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

i hate to say this but the pazzo levers come out the exact same factory as the cheezers.

its not the CNC ones people have to watch out for it's the cast ones that look like OEM levers, they are proper shizz and dangerous.

unless its OEM where do you think all these after market companies get their stuff made? i'll give you a hint rice is also their main export. most mobile phones including iphones are made in China so would you stop buying a mobile phone.

the places to watch out for buying after market stuff is India and Pakistan now that stuff is shocking.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-14, 09:51 PM   #16
Phoenix22

Fair point but a mobile phone isn't exactly a safety related item, if it it fails it may **** you off for a bit but it's not potentially life threatening is it?

I have bought loads of stuff from China and amazingly some of it still works!! Yeah OK, the reversing camera sometimes shows upside down images & the sat nav sends you to some unknown destination but it still works. I buy stuff to wear sometimes from Primark etc, but do so in the full knowledge that i'm just buying a load of cheap crap really.

To me one aspect of having a bike is to improve it bit by bit as you go along with quality stuff & just bunging a load of cheap tat at it that you got off e-bay is not my way.
Old 14-08-14, 08:59 AM   #17
SIII
Mega Poster

But getting royally shafted by pazzo and paying £135 more for an etched logo is ? Crack on then.
Old 14-08-14, 10:16 AM   #18
JulesW

Totally chuffed with my Chevers, they work as intended and look good, £18 bargain.

Gotta love a bargain
Old 14-08-14, 10:49 AM   #19
Corny Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
A pit bike is fine but you don't wan't even the slightest risk of anything failing if you have to pull up sharpish in a SMIDSY situation etc on a bike that weighs 240KG and can potentially need hauling up sharpish from 140mph + do you?
I don't know why I would ever be doing 140MPH+ and come across a SMIDSY situation if I'm honest, Also if I was braking and the front brake lever snapped I would use the rear brake and gears to slow me down. I also don't understand how you can guarantee they don't go through quality checks/tests - Given they may not be as thorough as Pazzo's but how would you know?

My main motivation is aesthetics, they look nice, I'm not paying the ridiculous price for Pazzos to look nice.
Old 14-08-14, 01:28 PM   #20
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
The 2 wheels supplied mine too, excellent quality.

I will add that after I fitted these levers my bike was run over while parked. The driver did not see my bike, knocked it off the side stand onto the left side and pushed it along the road for about a further foot. The handlebar was pushed into the tank and left a huge dent, the clutch lever though survived, but was badly scratched on the bobble. It did not bend or snap, it just abraded away on the concrete once it was knocked over.

For my money that is impressive.

On the negative side, the wife was given a set by a mate who said he thought that they may fit her bike. Although they looked like they fitted, the lever position was slightly out and made the clutch not engage properly. It turned out that they were for a Yam FJ12 and not a Kwak ZRX11. You can hardly blame the manufacturer for that though and I was able to strip them down and now carry a spare clutch/brake lever under my seat and have another in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote