SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-10, 12:31 PM   #1
ShadFX

Default License BHP restrictions

Hi All

Simple question - I got tugged by the fuzz yesterday, I passed my test 2 years and 8 months ago - this should mean I can ride anything I damn well please with regards to power right? As far as I was aware, you had a 2 year probation period if you like where you can only go upto 33 bhp and then after the 2 years anything is fair game? Plod yesterday seemed to think that I couldnt ride anything I wanted yet because im still under 21.. What he actually pulled me for has all been sorted out and I have the documents I need for my producer, the only thing im slightly concerned about is this power issue. I thought I was perfectly fine, but just wanna make sure before I walk through and hand my stuff in.

Thanks
Old 15-03-10, 12:37 PM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: License BHP restrictions

A
Any size motorcycle, with or without a sidecar if you have completed the large motorcycle Direct Access Scheme
21*
*You can ride a large motorcycle at any age two years after passing a test on a medium-sized motorcycle.

(excuse the formatting)

Lifted from here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ons/DG_4022547

So yes, you are correct.
Old 15-03-10, 12:40 PM   #3
ShadFX

Thanks for clearing that up - I think im going to print that page and take it with me when I present my documents - I checked my counterpart and the License category is definately A - so fingers crossed I should be fine...
Old 15-03-10, 12:46 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

You're fine, I'm not making any excuses but the law around motorcycle licences is complicated for a non-rider and police officers even if they should know better are no exception. If he wasn't a traffic officer I'm impressed he even knew about the two years/21 year old aspect...! Of course if he was Traffic then there is definitely egg on his face, make sure you rub it in gently when you go to the station, things like this have a habit of getting around...
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-10, 12:55 PM   #5
ThEGr33k

My license still says im restricted. But then I rang DVLA and they said its fine because it says when you passed so anyone with basic maths can figure out that I passed more than 2 years ago

Indeed in your case the policeman needs to know his job!
Old 15-03-10, 12:55 PM   #6
ShadFX

What surprised me more than anything Red, is I am a fairly well spoken country lad who does everything by the book, and all of this came about because I didnt have the right size damn allen key to put my new tax disc on my bike!! I had just been to frauds to purchase said key (i had bought my tax the day before) and was on the way home to affix my new disc! Then the bike showed up on his numberplate scanny whatsit as untax and un-insured (it is insured and taxed of course) so I now have a lovely little producer to take into the nick.

Even after explaining everything comprehensively and coherently, he still seemed deturmined to pin anything he could on me, which is when he went for the whole "your too young for that size of bike" malarky. What then surprised me even more, is not only is he a traffic cop of the last three years, but he is also biker himself!!! So in my opinion he should know the rules..

Ive printed the page to take in, not to rub it in, but just to make sure that if theres a bobby on the desk that doesnt know the rules that my **** is covered from every concievable angle!
Old 15-03-10, 01:03 PM   #7
chasey

I have a quick question about your photocard licenses as I guess it is similar to this.

On the back of your license, should it give a date when the restriction ends? Mine says; From: '02-04-08' To: '10-04-58'. This is next to the =<25Kw. There is nothing to say that I can deretard from the 2nd of next month?!

Sorry this is slightly off topic
Old 15-03-10, 01:32 PM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasey View Post
I have a quick question about your photocard licenses as I guess it is similar to this.

On the back of your license, should it give a date when the restriction ends? Mine says; From: '02-04-08' To: '10-04-58'. This is next to the =<25Kw. There is nothing to say that I can deretard from the 2nd of next month?!

Sorry this is slightly off topic
Miss Ophic's says the same. There's nothing to say when the restriction period is over. You have to know that after 2 years it no longer applies. Bit daft if you ask me.
Old 15-03-10, 01:38 PM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadFX View Post
he still seemed deturmined to pin anything he could on me,
Arrgh really annoys me when they can't back down when they realise they're in the wrong!
At least he went down the restricted route (which you're in the clear for) rather than failure to display (which would be pretty pathetic but technically you'd be liable to a fine)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-10, 02:00 PM   #10
ShadFX

Chasey - I had exactly the same thing on my license, thats why the officer in question decided to go down that road, he didnt actually apply common sense he just read what was on the card and completely changed tactics, which is why I was a little concerned. I think the thing is, if your worried about it change your photo on your license (probably good to update it from time to time anyway) and then ask the DVLA to take the code <=25kw off at the same time

And yeah Stu, it really annoys me too. Ive had it 3 times now, once I was pulled for going round a roundabout twice when I was lost (which isnt even illegal, but apprently I was acting "in a suspicious manner") which was a joke. I think there should be a system whereby the police should only have three attempts at stopping you for minor traffic offences and once they have reached this quote they can no longer pull you until they actually have you down for something you are doing wrong (speeding, dangerous driving, drink driving, etc) - I know this would be a pain to implement, but it would stop them wasting their own time on people like me.