SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-02-06, 04:51 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default playing with ECU

Now I know the SV doesn't have the latitude to do this, but i've been playing with my Tuneboy software, over the last 4 days I've been changing the mapping little by little, took it for a run today (just over 100 miles) and it's smoothed out most of the little things I hadn't realised were even there until they'd gone. although far from bad to begin with it's just that bit better now, I got six maps for different riding, from smooth pull away to really sharp throttle, econamy to drinks fuel like an American muscle car.

anyway, just compared the original map with the latest , didn't know it had changed so much.

Original fuel mapping

Original Ingnition mapping

Latest Fuel Mapping

Latest Ignition mapping.

Oh so much more to do

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 01:33 AM   #2
monkey

Default Re: playing with ECU

How did you get on with the tuneboy? Am considering getting one in a group buy on a Triumph forum. Apparently there are some great tunes out there and I can sort out the speedo error and soon will be able to fit a cheaper version of a quickshift to it.
Old 08-04-08, 03:51 AM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Now I know the SV doesn't have the latitude to do this, but i've been playing with my Tuneboy software, over the last 4 days I've been changing the mapping little by little, took it for a run today (just over 100 miles) and it's smoothed out most of the little things I hadn't realised were even there until they'd gone. although far from bad to begin with it's just that bit better now, I got six maps for different riding, from smooth pull away to really sharp throttle, econamy to drinks fuel like an American muscle car.

anyway, just compared the original map with the latest , didn't know it had changed so much.

Cheers Mark.
Hey Mark,

Are you using this on the t-bird or the beast? Am going to purchase a tuneboy in the next week or two - what is the software like and how intuitive is it?

Thanks
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 04:40 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

you can download the software for free from the site, and also get the lead fairly cheaply, however the convertion key is what costs.

As to the software, well it doesn't work on carbed bikes so I've only used it on the T5's, and lets just say it puts the dealers code unit to shame, you can change everything, and I mean everything, from a diagnostic screen, to resetting error codes, up to fuel & ignition mappings for 16 different rev ranges and 8 throttle positions, if you try something out side normal range it will give a warning, but it's quite able to blowup the engine if you tell it to , but just removing the 2 dips in performance that all bikes come with ( one at about 3,500 rev for emissions testing and the other at 5,000 for ride by noise testing) makes it a fair bit smoother.

It's one of those bits of software that can be used just as a basic map uploader and diagnostic tool, or you can write your own with different performance and throttle characteristics ( I've written or modified a number of maps for other T5 owners, once I know what the problem they are having is it's now easy to adjust it out), obviously this takes time to learn, but then you can always put back the basic map at anytime, also good for reseting last service date so you can keep that upto date for if it goes back to the dealer, a whole load of stuff I've forgotten as I haven't used it for a while now, but it's sitting there for me to do a custom map for the new engine at some point, of course I can only speak of the version I have for the Speed Triple, but it basically gives you freedom from the dealer and is as good as any screwdriver on a carbed bike.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 08-04-08 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-04-08, 12:31 PM   #5
monkey

I've read you can balance the throttle bodies too. It's gotta be worth it just going on some of the graphs up on the Triumph site. Only thing is my bloomin' laptop battery has had it.
Old 08-04-08, 04:13 PM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Now I know the SV doesn't have the latitude to do this, .
I thought Steve Jordan 'tuned' the ECUs of SV's?
Would you like an SV ECU to correct?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 04:45 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I thought Steve Jordan 'tuned' the ECUs of SV's?
Would you like an SV ECU to correct?
unfortunately the SV one is rather cheaper than the original T5 unit, so the steps are that much greater this directly reflex in how fine the tune can be made.

it's fairly easy to negate the low points put in for emissions and noise testing, but an output modifier will do that just as well (power comander to you).

and no I don't want an SV one thanks, you've obviously missed the key code bit that makes the software applicable to that ECU only (plus the fact it is only available for certain makes and models, the SV not being one of them).

Cheers Mark.
Old 08-04-08, 04:46 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Sort of, the SV ECU, AFAIK is limited in its adjustment and certainly not this advanced.

Edit; beated to it.
Old 12-05-08, 01:27 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Been looking at the mapping, and once again my reaction is "whoa... cool"
Old 12-05-08, 02:06 PM   #10
Stig

Very nice pictures of mountains there Mark.