SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-07, 06:13 PM   #1
gazman

Default Trip to Wales?

Hi all,

I’m not really sure where to put this thread as I have a couple of questions.

I will be travelling to Llanidloes in mid Wales for a week away (15th-21st July) I will be travelling up there from Kent on the bike with the missus as pillion.

Firstly the bikey type question: with the girlfriend & luggage on the bike I’ll be needing to make some adjustments. I’m guessing preload & tyre pressures? So can anyone please tell me what sort of suspension adjustments will I need to make & will I also have to adjust tyre pressures?

Secondly does anyone-one have any recommendations for things to do in Wales? So far we’ve thought of paying Snowdon a visit & the missus would like to do some horse riding? But any other ideas recommendations appreciated?

Thanks all.

Gaz
Old 24-06-07, 07:23 PM   #2
valleyboy

Default Re: Trip to Wales?

Watch out for some of the roads.. theres an imaginarly line in mid wales that when you cross it, the Z signs for corners actualy mean it! with an emtpy bike you may get away with one or two, but fully loaded its better to stay on the side of caution for a bit...
Old 24-06-07, 07:36 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

The recommended tyre pressures are the same 2 up. What do you run? I like 36/42 so wouldn't increase that. You could wind up the rear suspension a couple of clicks (C spanner in the tool kit)
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-07, 11:16 AM   #4
gazman

Cheers for the replies so far,

With the girlfiend on the back i'll definatly be taking it easy. I've got Bridgestone B020's on & running at 36/36, but its just the preload adjustments that i'm not so sure about so its up a couple of numbers when you got some more weight on the bike
Old 25-06-07, 11:25 AM   #5
Warthog

I just came back from Llanidloes! I heavily recommend Devils Bridge, to the West towards Aberystwyth. There is a crazy good road also going from Llanidloes north towards a tiny town called Staylittle and on over the hills to Macynthleth (sp???), it goes past reservoirs and has crazy inclines, its great. We went quad biking with Madian Quads which was good. Have fun!
Old 25-06-07, 11:37 AM   #6
Ed

Llanidloes (pronounced 'Klan-id-loyss') = nice spot. Horses - plenty of pony trekking/riding places around Machynlleth, which is not very far. The Centre for Alternative Technology at Mach is very interesting, if a bit pricey. Mach itself is a very pleasant small country town, lots of interesting shops. The ride from Llanidloes to Mach is over a terrific mountain road, it's a really exciting ride, you go past Clwedog (a lake) - if you go round the other side you can hire a boat. And I think they do canoes/row boats too. Aberdyfi is the nearest seaside, nice spot with a good fish and chippery on the seafront. A little further on is Tywyn (dismal, best ride straight through) and then on up the road to Tal-y-llyn - or else take the A470 towards Dolgellau and turn left down that road, the views coming down to the lake are simply stunning. Going the other way there are again some pretty places around - Rhayader, Builth Wells and so on.

And if it rains non-stop then get the train to Shrewsbury (my home town) - usual large town amenities...
Old 25-06-07, 01:41 PM   #7
Ping

I've moved this 'ere because it's pretty much a bike holiday post and definitely NOT crapola.

Old 25-06-07, 01:54 PM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Llanidloes (pronounced 'Klan-id-loyss') = nice spot. ..
Close but no cigar. The LLan sound is not 'Klan', but is close enough for most folks. 'THLAN' is actually closer to the correct sound. (I know I'm a pedant)

From Llanidloes try taking the A483 to Welshpool and then the A490 LLanfyllin and B4391 to Bala - it's a cracker. When at Bala, you could try Whitewater Rafting at Canolfan Tryweryn.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-07, 02:48 PM   #9
gazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
I've moved this 'ere because it's pretty much a bike holiday post and definitely NOT crapola.

Cheers
Old 25-06-07, 04:34 PM   #10
Swiss

Check the hand book on the tyre pressures. It's been a few years since I owned an SV but 36 on the rear sounds low and I'd expect it to be nearer the 40-42 mark. It should give you the recommended tyre pressure in the owners manual. I may be wrong but it sounds a bit low.

Have a good holiday