SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-07, 07:38 PM   #1
Biker_Billy

Default Jerky Throttle...

Hi All,

Just wanted to sound you out...

I bought a K3 a month or so ago, and since have fitted a Fuel Oval Can - sounds great! The only thing is that the throttle response is a little jerky. (edit - by the way, the things below happened before I fitted the can aswell)

It happens at low speeds, turning the throttle on and the power comes in with a bit of a kick, and similar at higher speeds/revs. I bought the bike of a guy who had had it since new, and had undertaken all the servicing himself, but I'm learning that it was really the oil/filters/plugs sort of stuff, not throttle body balancing and TPS adjustment which I understand is part of the dealership servicing.

Im guessing that the throttle cable probably needs adjustment - there seems to be quite a bit of free play - prob more than 5 mil, and whilst I did the TPS mod a couple of weeks ago improved things, I am thinking need to adjust the cable, and balance the throttle bodies? Would I be right? In addition, is there anything else you guys and gals can think of that would need doing? Bike is on 17k now...valve clearances just done.

Have done a search, hence my conclusions! - But I though I would ask anyway...

If I need to balance the throttle bodies, its something I want to try to do myself - not that Im a cheapskate, but I like to learn how to do things, then you know they have been done properly! (tempting fate, that is!!)

Thanks in advance,

Billy.
Old 12-07-07, 08:19 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Jerky Throttle...

Ermmmm...

1) Throttle/carb balance.
2) TPS adjustment.
3) Throttle cable slack.

As you suspect.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 08:33 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Ermmmm...

1) Throttle/carb balance.
2) TPS adjustment.
3) Throttle cable slack.

As you suspect.
Thanks Sid. no 2 done, so will crack on with 1 and 3.

Ta
Old 13-07-07, 01:43 AM   #4
phil24_7
Mega Poster

The 3 things mentioned are correct but I recon there's also a fair amount of inexperience in there too.

You need to be really smoothe with the SV's throttle (which'll be hard whilst the 3 things above need sorting) and I suspect your not as smoothe as you could be (hell, I've been riding mind since the begining of Feb and I still ain't got it sussed completely!).

Get the 3 things above sorted as a matter of course, then work on being smoothe and progressive with the throttle (must listen to my own advice!).

How ya enjoying things anywho, glad to see your already tinkering with your pride and joy, I still gotta get round to sorting the TPS and getting the throttle bodies balanced but I'm lame.

Regards

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-07, 06:44 AM   #5
thor

Sorting the bike can make a massive difference though. Doing the carbs has the biggest effect in my experience. Before it was like a pogo with the bouncy front end - not pleasant. After sorting the throttle and stiffening the front a little the bike was a hoot again!

I was surprised how little the throttle cable slack made a difference. Make sure that there is enough slack so you don't rev the bike when turning the bars full lock.

Also, if you have done anything to affect th fuelling (fitting the can etc) i might be worth geting a remap. Shouldn't cost a lot (not like a power commander) and can also make things better.
Old 13-07-07, 06:34 PM   #6
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
The 3 things mentioned are correct but I recon there's also a fair amount of inexperience in there too.

You need to be really smoothe with the SV's throttle (which'll be hard whilst the 3 things above need sorting) and I suspect your not as smoothe as you could be (hell, I've been riding mind since the begining of Feb and I still ain't got it sussed completely!).

Get the 3 things above sorted as a matter of course, then work on being smoothe and progressive with the throttle (must listen to my own advice!).

How ya enjoying things anywho, glad to see your already tinkering with your pride and joy, I still gotta get round to sorting the TPS and getting the throttle bodies balanced but I'm lame.

Regards
Absolutely Phil - totally agree, it improves if I really try to be very careful with the throttle, but the issues are still there...I just want to try to get everything sorted as it should be before I try to ride around the problem...

Things are going great - done about 800 miles this month, and I dont use it to commute, just as an evening and weekend toy. Mind you with working from home, its difficult not to nip out for an hour when I should be working!

TPS mod was well worth it - throttle body balance next me thinks...I love just going into the garage with a beer and sorting out the odd little things that need doing on the bike...

You going to Wales Phil?
Old 13-07-07, 06:36 PM   #7
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Sorting the bike can make a massive difference though. Doing the carbs has the biggest effect in my experience. Before it was like a pogo with the bouncy front end - not pleasant. After sorting the throttle and stiffening the front a little the bike was a hoot again!

I was surprised how little the throttle cable slack made a difference. Make sure that there is enough slack so you don't rev the bike when turning the bars full lock.

Also, if you have done anything to affect th fuelling (fitting the can etc) i might be worth geting a remap. Shouldn't cost a lot (not like a power commander) and can also make things better.
Might get some gauges this weekend then - go a free day tomorrow. I increased preload on the front, and this helped loads, as well as increasing the rear (was set on min, and Im 16 stone ish) - helped loads with confidence in corners.

I think I'll check the slack on the cable first tomorrow and go for a ride, see if that improves things...

Thanks for you help,
Billy
Old 13-07-07, 08:02 PM   #8
jonboy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post

Your bike needs sorting then, my (now year old) pointy was smooth as silk on the roll on from closed throttle from new until about 6 months old, and it's now decidedly jerky just as the original poster described. The pointy SV has one of the smoothest FI of many bikes and all the twins i've ridden. I'm hoping the suggested tweaks in this thread sort it (yet to get around to them) but it shouldn't take months to get used to a bike like this - that sort of apologist speak is why honda got away with their sh*te for fuel delivery they have for so long.
Old 14-07-07, 06:49 PM   #9
Biker_Billy

Just thought I'd let you all know that I did some maintenance on the SV today, trying to sort out the jerky throttle problems...well...I am amazed the difference that taking the slack out of the throttle cable has made - getting on the power is so much smoother, not perfect, but a huge improvement.

So, those of you who havent done this, do it!! - Even I managed it, so its not that hard.

Thanks for your help,

Billy
Old 16-07-07, 04:36 PM   #10
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Well see if we can sort mine at the Invasion of the Valleys!

So yes Billy, I am going.

Travelling up on the Friday night and staying till the sunday.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote