SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-18, 01:08 PM   #1
egcSV650s

Default Low Beam Problem

Ive got a problem with my low beam, its not working on either side but sidelights and main beam works. Ive looked at other threads and alot of people are saying its the white connector block which needs cleaning or may have burnt out. The bulbs and fine the fuses are fine ive checked the connector block and all looks fine, i cleaned it up but still not working. Not sure what else to check. Thanks in advance
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-18, 01:41 PM   #2
DuncanC

Default Re: Low Beam Problem

When you say the white connector block is fine do you mean the 3 pin connector on the back of the bulb? Also Do you mean fine as in there is 12 Volts on the dip beam socket? How are you testing for fine? With a multi meter or just visually?
The only bit you haven't mentioned is the switch. They can get a build up of crud that can cause electrical faults.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-18, 01:46 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

IIRC the main and dip beams have separate fuses in fusebox, also because of twin headlamps and higher current draw (about 10 amps) your bike may have a relay that switches between dip and main.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-18, 02:07 PM   #4
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanC View Post
When you say the white connector block is fine do you mean the 3 pin connector on the back of the bulb? Also Do you mean fine as in there is 12 Volts on the dip beam socket? How are you testing for fine? With a multi meter or just visually?
The only bit you haven't mentioned is the switch. They can get a build up of crud that can cause electrical faults.
No the 6 pin connector that does the indicators aswell. Ive only visually looked and cleaned it but havent got a multi meter so cant test the voltage. Ill have a look at the switch, but might be worth me getting a multi meter to check the voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
IIRC the main and dip beams have separate fuses in fusebox, also because of twin headlamps and higher current draw (about 10 amps) your bike may have a relay that switches between dip and main.
Yeah i think the relay is under the seat so will have a look if theres any loose connections
Old 22-04-18, 02:55 PM   #5
egcSV650s

Alot of poeple on the other threads and by passed the low beam wire which is what ive just done and still not working. Where would the grounds be for the headlight as i can trace the wires back
Old 22-04-18, 03:13 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
Alot of poeple on the other threads and by passed the low beam wire which is what ive just done and still not working. Where would the grounds be for the headlight as i can trace the wires back
I would imagine it is a common ground wire for both filaments.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 22-04-18, 03:25 PM   #7
egcSV650s

Quote:
I would imagine it is a common ground wire for both filaments.
Do you know where that is as i cant find it anywhere looked in haynes manual and dont understand the wiring diagrams lol
Old 22-04-18, 06:17 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://kanri.info/suzuki-ltr-450-wir...ing-diagram-at

Earth wire is black and white, you can check by looking what colour wire goes to the larger blade on the bulb (the one at 90deg to other two ).

At bottom LH of diagram you will see 'dimmer switch' shown, this is the handlebar switch that switches from dip to main beam (the switch positions
are marker 'hi' and 'lo' for main and dip) - follow yellow and green wires on the diagram (not that colour on your bike though, just highlighted for
ease of reading on the diagram).

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-04-18 at 06:20 PM.
Old 22-04-18, 07:18 PM   #9
egcSV650s

Quote:
http://kanri.info/suzuki-ltr-450-wir...ing-diagram-at

Earth wire is black and white, you can check by looking what colour wire goes to the larger blade on the bulb (the one at 90deg to other two ).

At bottom LH of diagram you will see 'dimmer switch' shown, this is the handlebar switch that switches from dip to main beam (the switch positions
are marker 'hi' and 'lo' for main and dip) - follow yellow and green wires on the diagram (not that colour on your bike though, just highlighted for
ease of reading on the diagram).
Thank you, will have a search around
Old 23-04-18, 09:03 AM   #10
egcSV650s

Earths are all good. I think im going to get a multi meter and test the resistance but where do i test resistance between? Thinking it may be the switches.