SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-12-06, 04:12 PM   #1
socommk23

Default mini motos

just sent a message to billy...not sure if he about.

does anyone else no anything about water cooled minimotos?
(quote)
hello
hope you about

just adjusted the clutch...set spring lenght now to 21mm.....

still not working.

though if i lift the rear wheel it revs alot higher than it will when im on it and the wheel will spin up well.

i sit on it and it just struggles to rev up.

help.

cheers
(quote)

any help would be great.
Old 29-12-06, 05:55 PM   #2
Jebiah

tight clutch springs will mean it has to rev higher to engage the clutch usually fitted with a performance exhaust, looser springs means it will bog down untill the clutch is fully engaged - usually happens when you add a performance exhaust and dont change the clutch springs... so maybe just finding the right tightness for the springs?

This is only a suggestion as my knowledge is based on water cooled 50cc moped
Old 30-12-06, 10:27 AM   #3
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

You might try PMing Blue_SV650S as I know he's well into everything minimoto
Old 30-12-06, 02:20 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox
You might try PMing Blue_SV650S as I know he's well into everything minimoto
Including how to get spat off one in a big way!!

socommk23 - what bike is it??? I bet it is a origami B1 rep?!?!? ... I got 2 of them and the clutch is a b1tch to set up if you don't have any experience !! ... not that bad once you have mastered it* mind Basically the power band is very .... very small!!! Set the clutch too loose and it boggs down ... set it too tight and it burns them out/never engages properly!!! And the difference between the two can be less than 1/2 a turn of the adjusters!!!

Also if it is a cheap Chinese copy (i.e. a Blata/Polini etc rep, not an original) the build quality is lousy and the clutches can need disassembling, freeing up and reassembling.

Where is this dude??? is he Gosport like you?

* I consider myself a master now after many many hours of fiddling, failing and new clutches!!!
Old 30-12-06, 03:25 PM   #5
socommk23

where is what dude?

yes im in gosport.

and yes its a b1 rep

billy has given me alot of help on this subject and i been fiddling with the damn clutch over and over.

just got it kinda going...though not enough space at the back of my house as , as it reaches the point of getting fast i run out of space.

wanna give up....just wanna have a fun little toy. so if you want it...swap for an aircooled one!

the ones at the nec seem to go fro ever with no problems!

i want one of them!
Old 30-12-06, 04:44 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23
Ah, sorry, it is you that has the bike, thought u were helping someone else out when I read it ...

I have a basic 'air cooled' one ('cag') too, that now I am onto LC ones will never use again (I take it as a spare as although great when going, the B1 rep LC ones break down all the time!! ... the cag has saved the day on many an occasion!! ), they are not as powerful, but it just goes, no hassles. I'll swap ya, no problems Or help you with the clutch ... but if you intend to use anywhere other than a racetrack, the B1 rep is not really going to produce the goods for you, as they only work when at speed and a lot of faffing and breakdowns ... you are indeed best off with a no hassles cag ...

I go to a proper indoor Karting place near Bristol (http://www.minimoto.co.uk/contacts_links.html) if you are interested in getting into minimoto properly/officially. I prefer doing it round a proper track. I live near you and have a van, happy to collect you/go together if you split the fuel costs!! Me an a few mates (who I meet there) tend to go about once a month on a Sunday (4-8 ).

Oh and you might be suffering from overheating … barrel de-lining poor carburetion … or a whole host of other problems I have encountered on my B1s … they are fickle, but if you can get them going properly, they are a fair weapon

Basically if you just want to piddle about, the cag is a better choice, but if you persevere and don’t mind the odd breakdown, the B1 can be wicked!!!

A pic of my aformentioned 'cag' I'd happily swap (I took the fairing off as it allows the bars to come out more, but still have the full fairing that you can have and has never been (used) on the bike!! ) There are now a few scuffs/repairs here and there on the seat pod, but it is still solid. It has a little K&N (style) airfilter and appropriate jetting now too ... gives it that little bit more 'pep'

here it is in action too!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltkUADo2e10
Old 31-12-06, 02:32 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Well we had a play today with socommk23's bike .... and now she'z a go-er

Old 31-12-06, 05:02 PM   #8
socommk23

cheers for the help BLUE!

never thought she'd go as well as she did today! just a few more adjustments and all will be pukka!

cant wait to get on a track!

is already stonking fun!

cheers again mate!
Old 01-01-07, 11:02 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23
cheers for the help BLUE!

never thought she'd go as well as she did today! just a few more adjustments and all will be pukka!

cant wait to get on a track!

is already stonking fun!

cheers again mate!
Indeed, the clutch can only be a few 10ts of a mm adjustment out now ... shame we ran out of time on the day, but after using my clutch, you know what you are aiming for (been there done that with the 'in the dark' thing myself!! ). However, don't ever expect the stock clutch to give exactly the same results as my Polini setup ... even though mine is nearly worn out, the Kevlar linings give more progressive biting and a lot more 'bite' in general* you could be fiddling indefinitely if you try and achieve the same properties. But its not far off being usable now ... also if you get a larger rear sprocket (suggest 76t) then it will give the clutch a much easier time of it anyway

*that and just a better design/quality clutch all round
Old 02-01-07, 11:27 AM   #10
DanAbnormal

Blimey, and I thought these things were only used by annoying little chav kids around housing estates! A racetrack you say? Can they be bought cheap? And is it an official 'series'. Could be good fun!

Dan