SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-07-08, 12:00 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Guitar self teaching literature

Greetings on this beautiful sunny day

Having owned a guitar for a fair while now, but never really gotten into playing it due to lack of time and patience, I recently picked it up again and am really getting back into playing it. Took a while to get the old fingers hardened up, but seem ok now and I find playing great for relaxation. Certainly beats the tat on tv!!

However, I'm getting a bit stalled and need some good literature to work through to learn scales and techniques, aswell as understanding the technical side of playing now that I can strum out your basic chords and a couple of tunes.

Seem to remember there being a fair few budding guitarists on here, so was hoping someone could make me some recommendations. I can read tabs and have a basic grasp of reading music, but there's that many teach yourself guides out there I didn't know where to start!

Any help much appreciated.

Jase
Old 01-07-08, 12:02 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Guitar self teaching literature

I bought music books for songs / bands I liked and then sat down with the books and played along to the CD and worked out how to play that way.

I read tab, but I cant read music and I managed to pick up quite a bit quite quickly, after that its just perserverance and practice IMHO.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 12:12 PM   #3
Jase22

I've got a couple of tab books, which I've been working through, and that's helped. Just getting a bit stalled with it, and wanted a bit of a different challenge.

Might you be able to recommend a couple of good books you've got that are good for "playing"? I'm pretty open to most tastes in music.
Old 01-07-08, 12:20 PM   #4
mister c
Mega Poster

I dabble with guitar pro 5 which, if you have torrents is available with up to 50000 tabs to go at, or I use 911tabs.com or ultimate-guitar.com
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 12:20 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

The Hal Leonard ones are good, but tbh I'd save your money and just follow Tabs online. You can pick up any song you want for free nowadays in seconds.

Alternatively screw the lot and buy Guitar Hero!
Old 01-07-08, 12:45 PM   #6
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Alternatively screw the lot and buy Guitar Hero!
Already got that Pretty good innit? Can just about handle the hard level now!

Cheers for the pointers though, I just felt I needed another angle to come at it than tabs. I'll have a look into Hal Leonard books.
Old 01-07-08, 01:20 PM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I play by ear, can't read tab, or music. I listen to all my fave music, and can usually start playing along to a new one half way through. I have sat in jam sessions with my mates ad found that learning that way was so much better. You get the feel of the music on top of the plink plank plonk of reading tab etc, if that makes sense.

Only thing is with jamming with your mates, if your shy it don't work...

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 01:42 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Just play things that take your fancy, youll soon see that power chords are all you need

I never really learn full songs, mostly just the main rythm then the bits of solo's I find interesting. Learn the things you find fun, and try and build up a good range of techniques.

Don't neglect the way you play though; its easy to get into bad habits....try and get into the idea of using down and upstrokes when picking, and dropping your thumb down behind the neck to open your hand out a bit, specialy when doing those lead licks and solo's

riffage-wise, metallica Black album stuff is pretty easy but you'll learn things about the fret board.

Learn some simple scales (pentatonic scales) to help you find your way around the frets, all that kinda thing

Dizzy has a point; listen to the song you are learning. I thought i was playing Tornado Of Souls by Megadeth right for ages, until i listened to the song properly and realised i was fluffing it up...tabs are good, but use the CD to play along with.

Have fun!

Matt
Old 01-07-08, 02:14 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Dizzy has a point; listen to the song you are learning. I thought i was playing Tornado Of Souls by Megadeth right for ages, until i listened to the song properly and realised i was fluffing it up...tabs are good, but use the CD to play along with.
Definately a good point.

I had a similar experience, I learnt from tab to play Waterfall by The Stone Roses I thought I had it down perfectly, then I played alongside the CD and I'd missed one note out of the main riff, DOH !!!

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 02:42 PM   #10
thedonal

If you're specifically into rock guitar, there's a couple of books by a German Guitar teacher called Michael Fischer.

Rock Guitar Secrets- loads of good warm ups and excercises to improve skills from co-ordination and scales to tapping and sweeping.
Masters of Rock Guitar- a load of examples in the styles of great guitarists from Andy Summers through to Steve Vai

Both with a CD. A bit cheesy in delivery, but excellent content.

Also John Petrucci's (Dream Theater) DVD/CD Rock Discipline is fantastic with some brilliant warm up excercises and lessons on all the major rock techniques.

The skills in these books are easily transferable to other styles...

Also look at Lick Library on the web- you can subscribe (costs cash) for online video lessons and also band specific stuff- including books and dvds for most major bands