SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-06, 09:15 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Front End conversions

Ok so I did a search, seems people are doing them from various different donor bikes, GSXR600s, 750s, thous. Some mixing and matching all sorts of stuff off different bikes. \/

But it’s all a little too complex!!! Has anyone just bolted a complete front end off a bike straight on, no messing?!?!

Or has anyone bolted a front end off a different manufactures bike, like an R1, or R6, CBR600RR etc …

I was going to keep an eye out on eBay to see if I could get a complete front end (forks, yokes, wheel, callipers etc) off any modern sports 600-1000 really, and just bolt it on!!

If buying a complete front like this, the only thing I can see stopping me is that if the distance between yokes is different and that the stem is the wrong size/has the wrong size bearings.

Soooooo … in summery, which bikes front ends slot straight in? Anyone done a conversion from a non Suzuki donor? If so what bike?

Anyone guess what I have in mind!!?!?
Old 14-06-06, 09:33 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

On your bike, GSXR SRAD 600 or 750 very nearly bolts right in- just wants a different top bearing, which are available easily. (I used Twin Works Factory in the states, I think JHS does one, as do the SV Race Shop) If you want the parking lock to work, 10 minutes with a grinder or dremel is sometimes needed, the rest is bolt-on- even the lock stops fit.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-06, 10:55 AM   #3
Grinch

You can get any front to fit... it just depends on how much work you are prepared to do.
Old 14-06-06, 12:09 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Cheers northwind, the old SRAD stuff should be pretty plentiful by now too … just hard to find straight stuff!!! Is there any difference between the 750 setup and the 600??? Were the SRAD 750s USD?

Grinch … I think it is safe to assume from my post that I don’t want any faffing!!!
Old 14-06-06, 02:46 PM   #5
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
Cheers northwind, the old SRAD stuff should be pretty plentiful by now too … just hard to find straight stuff!!! Is there any difference between the 750 setup and the 600??? Were the SRAD 750s USD?

Grinch … I think it is safe to assume from my post that I don’t want any faffing!!!
You could pay someone to faff...
Old 14-06-06, 03:09 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

No real need though. The SRAD bits are good quality (though as you say, old) and look right on the bike too- the SRAD wheel is the same as the carbed SV rear and even comes in the same colours. SRAD 600 is RWU, SRAD 750 is USD.

Really it's the SRAD yokes that are the gift. You can put other 50mm forks into them, for example the Y-K3 forks I've used are in a SRAD yoke, with a SRAD axle and wheel but K2 mudguard and calipers. No great benefit to that, mind, the forks are very similiar, but good K2 ones are easier to find. I think the same goes for K1 and K2 thou forks, but they're (apparently) less good. Though shiny.

It's only when you start playing with radials that things get more complicated. I don't see much benefit to the forks, but Ben reckons the forks are way better (Max Macallister at Traxxion has said that the K6 750 showas are the first road bike forks he's ever found that he'd be happy to put on a race bike unmodified)
Old 14-06-06, 04:52 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Grinch - PAY someone to faff … PAY … … I love to faff myself, so would never dream of PAYING someone else to do so …

I use this bike every day, therefore don’t have the luxury of prolonged downtime. A weekend would be max, hence the desire of a direct swap solution.

Northwind – thanks for the info, I know what to look out for now, cheers

One point of confusion though presumably the 750 and the 600 yokes are different if one is USD? Or are they both 50mm?
Old 14-06-06, 06:00 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

RWU or SRAD 600 yokes are 45mm
USD or SRAD 750 yokes are 50mm (i dont know if the bottom yoke is diffrent to the top)
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-06, 06:24 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Good catch, I meant to say SRAD 750.

The bars are a little low with the SRAD yokes, is one of the drawbacks. Not an awful lot of clearance between clipons and fairings, I found my throttle cable dragged on the plastics. With the USD forks, TL1000S clipons are a little taller and prevent this (as well as taking some weight off your wrists).
Old 14-06-06, 06:51 PM   #10
fearless ferret

just got mine fitted this week

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...s/IM000291.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...s/IM000288.jpg