SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-07, 09:04 PM   #1
Draper

Default Buying a SV650S

I am a newcomer to bikes and have been driected through various other bikes (e.g. GS500) to the SV. It was recommended to me by an instructor, and it looks a bloody nice bike! Being a new rider and only 17 I am obviously looking to restrict it down to 33 but i hear it still keeps a lot of torque and still accel like **** off a stick.

I'm looking to get one second hand (the older model) and am wondering if any of you have any advice on what to look for when buying one second hand trade, i.e common problems, and wondering what sort of prices for one in good condition etc. and generally any information that could help me in my current position

any help would be great,

cheers

Draper
Old 06-03-07, 09:12 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying a SV650S

Hi and welcome
1. Look at the front forks are they corroded and chipped, This is pretty common on a high milleage SV thats been used in all weathers. Its a good indication of what the bikes been used for and also if the milleage is correct. i.e if the forks are chipped and manky but the milleage on the bike is low then start asking questions. Same goes for the handlebars and footpegs.
2. Have a look at the disks and pads. What condition are they in. SV's are known for the brakes sticking on if its not been looked after. Again this is especially relevant if its been used through winter and neglected.
3. Look at the chain and sprocket and the tyres. how much life do they have left in them, and slack worn chain with hooked teeth on the sprocket mean that its going to want changing soon.
3. Electrics, some people including me have had trouble with blown fuses caused by the wiring loom rubbing on the tank. So ask about that to.
4. If its a private sale, if you can get a sneaky peak in the owners garage, have a look for stuff like, paddock stands, a good set of tools, cleaning products, chain lube etc on the shelf, It'll give you an idea of how the current owner looks after the bike.
5. Sometimes if the bikes ridden in heavy rain water gets into the front spark plug hole and then it'll drop down onto one cylinder and run intermitantly between one two cylinders which isnt fun. A fenda extenda will sort this or some silicone grease on the front HT lead will also do the trick, have a search for the subject its been covered loads of times and its fairly common. Ask the owner if they have had trouble with the bike in the wet, its not a huge problem and its easy to sort.
Dont be put off by high milleage as long as you can see that the servicing has been done, either by stamps in the service manual or receipts for parts used. A high milleage bike thats been ridden is better than a low milleage bike thats been stood for ages and has got all seized up.
Use things like worn tyres, chain and sprocket as bargaining tools to get the price down. Make sure you do a HPI check to make sure that theres no outstanding finance or the bike hasnt been involved in a accident at some point in its life.
Remember that non standard parts dont increase the value of the bike. So dont let the bling bits distract you from the of the bike, better IMHO to buy a mint standard bike than sh*tter with loads of aftermarket parts bolted onto it. Things like a hugger, a scotoiler are sensible modifications though as is a race can but only if you like the sound / look of it.
If you're not sure, Walk away from the bike, or take somebody with you who does know what they are looking at. Make sure you look at plenty of bikes and never buy the first one you look at.

As for price, it really depends on what you are looking for. 99 - 02 year model bikes tend to be in the £1500 to £2500 mark and 03 Onwards Bike look like they go from anywhere around £2750 upwards.

Depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 09:25 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Welcome to the madhouse

Nothing to add to what Fizzwheel said, other than get a yellow one
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 09:26 PM   #4
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

No....................don't get a yellow one!

One Hovis is enough

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 09:49 PM   #5
BILLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
No....................don't get a yellow one!

One Hovis is enough
Go lissa

And welcome to the mad house
Old 06-03-07, 09:52 PM   #6
Beenz

Firstly. Welcome to the forum

The SV is a fantastic bike, for a first 'big' bike or a 19th bike (as was in my case). The go, they stop and they handle. 33 restricted should not be any different in the real world use as the low down grunt is a real plus for the SV.

For a used model, Fizz has already stated what to look out for. What I can say is that you'll love it once you get one.

Good luck (and get a red pointy one, they are the best).
Old 07-03-07, 05:23 PM   #7
Draper

ahhh cheers everyone, some quick work there fizzwheel

although what is a HT lead and HPI check?... yes i am one of these newcomer pooftas who dont know much haha

And i quite like the yeller SVs, look pretty good, i'll get any colour really if i find a goodun, just depends

over and out
Old 07-03-07, 05:30 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Buying An SV? what a bad idea!

Only joking!

I have my 99 SV restricted to 33bhp, and it stil pulls very well. The low down torque hasnt completly gone, so keep it between 4k and 8k rpm and the bike is in the fun part. It wont rev very high though, mine tends to just shake alot above 8k rpm! It sits very nicely at 90mph down the motorway, and is good for being two-up (my girlfreind is often pillion!)

Go for it I say, if you can get a later model (pointy model) then that would be better as there is less fuss getting it restricted, but do bear in mind that Yellow Curvy's are the best!

Happy riding mate,

Matt

[edit] i know a guy who had a restricted GSXR600 (the big SRAD model), and it was gutless - he chopped it in after a few weeks for a restricted SV, which he claimed "wow! much better!"
Old 07-03-07, 05:46 PM   #9
hovis

welcome ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV View Post
Welcome to the madhouse

than get a yellow one
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Buying An SV? what a bad idea!

Only joking!

but do bear in mind that Yellow Curvy's are the best!

they are not wrong....... check out the for sale section

Last edited by hovis; 07-03-07 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-03-07, 06:30 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
although what is a HT lead
Its the lead thats goes from the coil to the spark plug.

Quote:
and HPI check?...
I dont know what the intials mean, but basically a HPI check will tell you

1. if the bike has outstanding finance on it. If it has you dont wanna buy it unless the seller clears the outstanding finance before you buy it. If they dont as until the finance is paid off the finance company own the bike not the seller, So even though you pay money for it, if the seller doesnt keep the finance payments up the fiance company can reposess the bike. ( I think )

2. It'll tell if the bikes been involved in an accident and put back on the road. Anything Cat C or Cat D is OK, but it does effect the resale value of the bike so dont pay full whack for it.

3. I think it'll tell you if the bikes been stolen to but I'm not sure.

It all should tell you if the bike is legit and the seller is who they say they are. Its useful background info to have.

Quote:
yes i am one of these newcomer pooftas who dont know much haha
Dont worry to much, we were all newbies at this lark once to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote