SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-08, 05:12 PM   #1
RPC_SV

Default what to look out for on 2nd hand curvy SV's

I have been looking at a number of 2nd hand naked curvys, and ive arranged a few viewings this weekend. They all have around 20k on the clock, and look in decent condition on the photos, but often the camera can lie.

I just really wanted to know what the common problems are with curvys, and how to diagnose these problems. i.e. is there any particular area they rust.... any common engine faults?

When i go to look at them, i need to be armed and ready to look at certain areas so i know what im looking for.

Thank you all, and hope you are enjoying the gorgeous biking weather!

Ross
Old 19-06-08, 06:10 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: what to look out for on 2nd hand curvy SV's

Bear in mind they are all 6-9 years old and pay accordingly.
Check all the normal bits as you would for any bike,including the consumables.Worn tyres and chains or overdue servicing can be good bargaining chips.SVs need a valve clearence check every 16000 miles,so look for evidence it has been done.Get the bike on level ground and check the oil level in the sight glass.An owner that hasnt bothered to keep that right hasnt looked after the bike.
Dont pay the asking price.
Old 19-06-08, 06:33 PM   #3
mister c
Mega Poster

Buy the best looking
If the nuts, bolts etc are in good knick, then normally it has been well looked after by the previous owner(s).
Rear subframe tends to rust, front forks start to pit if it's done winter riding. Test brakes, another area that tends to start to stick if not looked after. Listen to the engine for any untoward noises, oil leaks, etc. Clutch cover sometimes leaks if the bolts have been overtightened, it's quite an easy fix though.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-08, 08:07 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Since mine's for sale I'll shamelessly plug it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Worn tyres and chains or overdue servicing can be good bargaining chips. FSH, brand new C+S, tyres have 2k miles or more left
SVs need a valve clearence check every 16000 miles,so look for evidence it has been done. FSH

Dont pay the asking price. Someone will
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Buy the best looking Mine then
If the nuts, bolts etc are in good knick, then normally it has been well looked after by the previous owner(s).
Rear subframe tends to rust, Pristine
front forks start to pit if it's done winter riding. Pristine
Test brakes, another area that tends to start to stick if not looked after. Fully stripped, cleaned + greased
Bit of TLC and spanner-fu and you can have them ready to do telephone number mileages without major complications.
Old 19-06-08, 09:40 PM   #5
scottjames

mine had a slight leak from clutch cover which i didnt notce when i brought it. not major but a leak none the less. luckily it wwas on warenty as was about 50 quid for a new one seeing as a new gasget didnt sort it.
Old 20-06-08, 08:08 AM   #6
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Only problem I've had with mine was the Regulator/Rectifier packing in on me, easy to replace. Difficult to spot as a potential seller would just have charged the battery up beforehand, meaning you've got a weeks worth of riding before it runs the battery flat again.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-08, 09:36 AM   #7
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
Only problem I've had with mine was the Regulator/Rectifier packing in on me, easy to replace. Difficult to spot as a potential seller would just have charged the battery up beforehand, meaning you've got a weeks worth of riding before it runs the battery flat again.
You could always start it up & go rear seat sniffing
Horrible fishy type of smell

I'll get me coat
Old 20-06-08, 10:13 AM   #8
RPC_SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
You could always start it up & go rear seat sniffing
Horrible fishy type of smell

I'll get me coat

Yeah.....its for the best lol

All of this advice has been rather handy I must say, so a big thank you! I have been looking at other bikes, but none have got the sort of supporting network that the SV has.... . org has swung it for me!

Only other thing is...if i bought one of the SV's im looking at and I had a major engine problem i.e. seizure (basically writing off the engine) how much would a new engine and gearbox set me back roughly? And are they difficult to get hold of? I just wondered because some of the bikes are moderately high milage. 25k+

Thanks again!
Old 20-06-08, 10:38 AM   #9
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Quote:
I just wondered because some of the bikes are moderately high milage. 25k+
**Ahem, ahem...** potential shameless plug alert...

Mine's got 14.5k on it (W-reg Black Curvy) and could well be up for sale shortly, depending on how quickly I manage to shift my car which is also for sale!

I was about to spam your thread with a blatant plug but decided to make a new thread in the For Sale section instead!

Anyway, umm as you were!

Creatomatic

Last edited by JamesMio; 20-06-08 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added link to For Sale bit
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-08, 10:41 AM   #10
mister c
Mega Poster

25k on an SV isn't much, there are some on here with a lot more on them than that. The engine, as long as the oil etc are checked regularly are virtually bullet proof.
Expect to pay about £300 -400 quid off ebay and there are a few about, so shouldn't be a problem