SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-12-13, 09:10 AM   #1
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Found the perfect bike except. ..

...the mileage doesn't stack up 100%.

I put a deposit down on a mint condition GSXR750 K5 model from a dealer. Bike advertised as 7,745 miles, full service history and one owner since new.

Went to take a look in person on Monday and although the bike was in great condition for it's age, the bodywork was almost too good. No stone chips on the fairings, front mudguard and the only real 'issues' were some slight blemishes such as some bubbling on the paint on the right hand side of the frame (about 2 inches long, 1 inch high), a small scuff on the right hand indie, as if it's brushed on a wall slightly and some (expected) pitting on the brake calipers and there was some crapola on the rear shock adjustment ring (again expected).

So I'm generally pleased with the cosmetics (newish Bridgestones on it too), but when I start going through the paperwork, there's the following.

Registered new in 2005, first service at 645 miles towards the end of that year. The next stamp in the book is a different garage and just a stamp, no details. Next to that is another stamp (same as the second), however has written 8,000 mile service (can't remember the date). So I'm thinking, no biggy, garage might just have stamped it twice by mistake for some reason. I'm then thinking OK, maybe they've listed it as the 8k service because they've rounded up/current mileage is 7,745 so nearly 8k and maybe that's the service interval for gixxers.

Then I look at the mot history. First mot gives 12,932 miles in 2008 and the next one has been done by the current dealer this month with the mileage at 7,745.

So, being naturally cynical, I'm thinking this doesn't add up and there's obviously a problem. Lad in the dealership is genuinely surprised and does a hpi check there and then in front of me to prove it's never been registered (I know that's all it means). He also confirms they took it as part ex for a brand new blade (they're a Honda dealer).

He checks VOSA and both MOT's are listed with mileage as above. So I'm left wondering whether the first MOT had a typo and the tester maybe added a random digit by accident and the mileage was something like 1,293 instead of 12,932, or whether there's something more sinister going on.

I asked for the previous owner's details but the dealer said they couldn't give me his phone number (fair enough, data protection etc). I did ask if I could take some pics of the MOT docs etc so I could phone the previous testing station and I also took a sneaky pic of the V5, so have the previous owner's address (already tried BT but he's not listed).

So what are people's opinions here, does it sound well dodgy or is it quite possible that the discrepancy on the first MOT cert is just an honest mistake?

I'm going to try contacting the previous owner too, however at this stage thinking of walking away and looking for another.

The thing is, I can't get my head round why someone would go to the bother of changing the mileage for such an old bike as even something around 20k is still quite low for a bike of that age. The bike is in great condition, so it is possible that it's been crashed, had new fairings and speedo etc, however the forks, calipers and front wheel do have signs of use, so not obviously brand spanking new.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-13, 09:16 AM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Found the perfect bike except. ..

Tbh Mark, gixxers are ten a penny, I'd walk away, there will many more be less suspicious ones around, I wouldn't touch that one.
Old 26-12-13, 09:21 AM   #3
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Cheers Phil. I thought the same. I've been after a low mileage one for a while and missed out on one recently. This one is completely standard except for a pyramid hugger, whereas most have after market cans, tail tidies etc.

Strangely enough, I'd prefer to pay the additional premium that a dealer would add, rather than buy privately, as at least I'd have 3 months warranty and some comeback in the event of any issues.
Old 26-12-13, 09:22 AM   #4
Lawman

Could possibly have been crashed and new clocks, etc added as you say or clocks replaced under warranty? . Can the dealership contact the previous owner and ask the question for you.
Old 26-12-13, 09:33 AM   #5
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

I guess they could, but again, being cynical, I can't imagine them saying 'yeah, it's been down the road and fixed up without registering it'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-12-13, 09:34 AM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

do the chassis and engine number match up?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-13, 09:44 AM   #7
Lawman

I think you have convinced yourself to walk away...I think it would be the right decision in the circumstances
Old 26-12-13, 09:45 AM   #8
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
do the chassis and engine number match up?
Didn't check that to be honest but can phone the garage and ask them tomorrow.

Old 26-12-13, 09:47 AM   #9
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Full service history? Sounds like there should be more stamps than that.
I'd not dismiss it entirely, but not proceed unless I could get find and chat to the previous owner.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-13, 09:57 AM   #10
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Service intervals appear to be 600, 4,000 and 8,000. So that could explain the 2nd stamp (even though there is nothing written on it i.e mileage).

Will be writing to the previous owner.