SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-06-10, 05:46 PM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default Anyone got Sky Broadband!

I have sky broadband and went onto the Free package just before christmas. It was sold to me as having a 2GB 'download' limit.

I thought great, there is no way I download that much.

Only its not a download limit... its a usage limit? and apparently I use 12GB a month?

That means I now have to be upgraded to the Ulimited package costing me £7.50 a month.

Anyone else had a similar problem... also what the hell is a usage limit?
Old 21-06-10, 06:14 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone got Sky Broadband!

Yes, I have it. Welcome to what is known in our house as Sky Cost Creep. I joined the free service when it first came out and I'm now up to £10 a month.

Every page of the web you view counts to your download useage. A page is less than, say, watching a movie clip of any kind. And if you download something, like a song of film, that will be quite a lot.

We bought a new PC in Nov. Having a PC that actually worked properly meant we now use the web a lot more. And we went over the 2MB limit in the first month and also had to go up to the next package.

I'll give them four months, maybe six, before they send you a letter telling you the cost is going up. Again!
Old 21-06-10, 06:16 PM   #3
christopher

The term usage limit sounds like the overall use, so it would be including uploads as well as downloads, but I can't be sure on that.

On the subject of data consumed, do you use BBC iPlayer or similar on demand programs, or do any online gaming? Streaming something from BBC iPlayer in HD can easily use over 1GB in an hour... online gaming may use 25-50MB an hour (could be a really poor guess!) depending on if downloads maps or addons and how large the servers you're playing on are etc.

It all adds up rather quickly! O2 broadband standard (8MB download, but only getting about 3MB due to location) here, and use on average 2GB a day.
christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-10, 06:38 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

I play the xbox a bit and my girlfriend is always on facebook uploading photos and stuff.

They are going to be charging me £7.50 extra a month and its now unlimted which takes my bill upto £38.50 + I have to pay BT line rental of £11.50... £50 for skyHD/broadband/phone
Old 21-06-10, 08:01 PM   #5
Specialone

Yeah G its everything, gaming, forums the lot, i dread to think how much i use
It only used to be downloading, but cos everybody dont do that as much now they have to impose other limits to extract more money from you.
Old 22-06-10, 05:21 AM   #6
metalangel

I signed up for the middle package when Sky Broadband first came out, now they're moving me to whatever they've condensed them to. Internet radio, Lobstertube (ahem), lots of Xbox Live, lots of browsing from both of us, never had a problem with any limits in almost four years.